Current:Home > FinanceTrump Budget Calls for Slashing Clean Energy Spending, Again -Prime Capital Blueprint
Trump Budget Calls for Slashing Clean Energy Spending, Again
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 17:54:46
The Trump administration’s latest budget proposal would radically reduce new spending on federal programs for advancing clean energy.
One of the deepest cuts would slash funding for the Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) by 87 percent—from $2.3 billion last year to $343 million in new spending next year.
The EERE cuts appear less extensive at first glance because the administration’s fiscal year 2020 plan, released Monday, counts some past funding that has been delayed. But even with the rolled over funds, the total of $696 million for the office would cripple support for novel and promising technologies for advanced wind turbines, high-tech materials, green buildings and more.
The White House also proposes eliminating tax credits for electric vehicles and an array of other incentives for reducing carbon emissions. And it makes a third attempt to eliminate the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) program, an incubator for cutting-edge energy research and development.
These programs proposed for the chopping block have long enjoyed broad support in Congress and the cuts seem unlikely to be adopted, especially now that the House is led by a Democratic majority. Even under the Republicans, lawmakers rebuffed Trump’s two previous proposals to slash this part of the energy budget.
But the new budget proposal shows that the Trump administration is doubling down on its resolve to retreat from a federal role in advancing a clean energy economy and maintaining global leadership in the technology.
EPA Would Be Cut 31%, Deficit Would Rise
Energy and the environment would take a far larger hit than other non-military spending. Across-the-board, non-military discretionary spending would be cut 5 percent. The Environmental Protection Agency would get a 31 percent cut, to $6.1 billion, and the Department of Energy’s budget would be cut 11 percent, to $31.7 billion.
The White House, meanwhile, is proposing a 12 percent increase for the Office of Fossil Energy Research and Development, to $562 million. The office administers the Energy Department’s research into carbon capture and other technologies to advance use of fossil fuel. There is also more money for nuclear power.
In the context of a $4.75 trillion federal budget, the EERE office is a small line item. But studies have shown that it has been effective in its mission. The Energy Department website boasts that $12 billion in investments by EERE has translated into $230 billion in net economic benefit to the United States—an annual return on investment of more than 20 percent.
A senior administration official who gave a background briefing to reporters said the budget includes “more reduction in spending than any president in history has ever proposed.”
It also would result in a projected budget deficit of about $1.1 trillion, thanks largely to the 2017 enacted tax cuts. The Trump administration maintains that over the long term the tax cuts will stimulate growth and increased revenue. The deficit is “a real problem that is not a result of our economic policies,” the administration official said. “We don’t think the tax cuts are going to lead to anything but economic growth over 10 years.”
The full details of the budget, justifying the White House’s proposals program by program, have not yet been published. But some elements were released in a series of fact sheets, summaries and briefings.
Budget Proposal ‘Ignores the Climate Crisis’
Democrats reacted dismissively to the budget draft.
Rep. Kathy Castor, a Democrat from Florida who chairs a newly created climate committee in the House, said it “ignores the climate crisis.”
In a statement, she said that “the climate crisis must be addressed through virtually all areas of American life, and as a result, virtually all areas of the President’s budget should address this.”
Rep. Adam Schiff, a California Democrat, wrote on Twitter: “You know what, Mr. President, keep your budget. We’ll take it from here.”
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- 5 people killed, 13-year-old girl critically injured in Las Vegas shooting
- GM brings in new CEO to steer troubled Cruise robotaxi service while Waymo ramps up in San Francisco
- Washington high court to decide if Seattle officers who attended Jan. 6 rally can remain anonymous
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Jury awards $700k to Seattle protesters jailed for writing anti-police slogans in chalk on barricade
- Thousands of Tesla Cybertrucks recalled for issues with wipers, trunk bed trim
- Horoscopes Today, June 25, 2024
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Illinois man accused in mass shooting at Fourth of July parade expected to change not-guilty plea
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Argentina vs. Chile live updates: Watch Messi in Copa América game today
- Euro 2024 bracket: Live group standings, full knockout round schedule
- Saipan, placid island setting for Assange’s last battle, is briefly mobbed — and bemused by the fuss
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Amazon wants more powerful Alexa, potentially with monthly fees: Reports
- Justin Timberlake Shares First Social Media Post Since DWI Arrest
- Lily Collins Ditches Her Emily in Paris Style for Dramatic New Bob Haircut
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Texas man set for execution turns to God, says he's a changed man and 'deeply sorry'
Consolidated, ‘compassionate’ services pledged for new Illinois Department of Early Childhood
Ford recalls more than 550,000 F-150 pickups over faulty transmission
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
32-year-old purchased 2 lottery tickets this year. One made him a millionaire.
Texas man set for execution turns to God, says he's a changed man and 'deeply sorry'
Man who allegedly flew to Florida to attack gamer with hammer after online dispute charged with attempted murder