Current:Home > reviewsArkansas Supreme Court rejects challenge to ballot measure that would revoke casino license -Prime Capital Blueprint
Arkansas Supreme Court rejects challenge to ballot measure that would revoke casino license
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:34:03
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — The Arkansas Supreme Court on Monday rejected part of a lawsuit challenging a measure on the ballot that would revoke the license issued for a planned casino.
Justices unanimously rejected the lawsuit’s claims that the measure should be disqualified for violating several laws regarding signature gathering. The court has yet to rule on a second part of the lawsuit challenging the wording of the ballot measure.
Cherokee Nation Entertainment, which had been awarded the license to build the casino in Pope County earlier this year, sued along with an affiliated group, the Arkansas Canvassing Compliance Committee.
A special master appointed by the court to review evidence disagreed with the lawsuit’s claim that Local Voters in Charge, the group behind the measure, did not submit required paperwork about its paid canvassers. The special master also rejected the lawsuit’s claim that the group violated a ban on paying canvassers per signature.
Local Voters in Charge said it was grateful for the ruling.
“Issue 2’s message of local voter control — that communities should have the final say on a casino in their own hometown — is resonating across the state,” Hans Stiritz, a spokesperson for the group, said in a statement. “We look forward to the court’s final decision on the ballot language challenge, with hope that the vote of the people will be counted on Issue 2 in November.”
Ads regarding the casino measure have been blanketing Arkansas’ airwaves. Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma has donated $5.6 million to Local Voters In Charge. Cherokee Nation Businesses has donated $2.8 million to Investing in Arkansas, the group campaigning against the measure.
The proposed amendment would revoke the license granted for a Pope County casino that has been hung up by legal challenges for the past several years. Pope County was one of four sites where casinos were allowed to be built under a constitutional amendment that voters approved in 2018. Casinos have already been set up in the other three locations.
“While disappointing, we still await the Court’s decision on the ballot title challenge,” Allison Burum, spokesperson for the Arkansas Canvassing Compliance Committee, said in a statement. “Issue 2 is misleading, and its sole purpose is to undo the will of Arkansas voters by eliminating the fourth casino license they approved in 2018.”
veryGood! (297)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Caroline Ellison says working at FTX with Bankman-Fried led her to lie and steal
- Woman accused of killing pro cyclist tries to escape custody ahead of Texas murder trial: She ran
- Migrants flounder in Colombian migration point without the money to go on
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Scott Disick Reveals Why His Sex Life Is “Terrible”
- An Israeli jewelry designer described as ‘the softest soul’ has been abducted, her family says
- ‘AGT’ judge Howie Mandel says his OCD is a 'vicious, dark circle.' Here's how he copes.
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Norway activists press on with their protest against wind farm on land used by herders
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- USADA announces end of UFC partnership as Conor McGregor re-enters testing pool
- Ex-Barclays Bank boss Staley banned from senior UK finance roles over misleading Epstein statements
- Malaysia questions Goldman Sachs lawsuit over 1MDB settlement, saying it’s premature
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- ‘AGT’ judge Howie Mandel says his OCD is a 'vicious, dark circle.' Here's how he copes.
- NFL appeal in Jon Gruden emails lawsuit gets Nevada Supreme Court hearing date
- Cash-strapped Malaysian budget carrier MyAirline abruptly suspends operations, stranding passengers
Recommendation
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
AP PHOTOS: Crippling airstrikes and humanitarian crisis in war’s 6th day
IOC suspends Russian Olympic Committee for incorporating Ukrainian sports regions
Wisconsin Republican leader won’t back down from impeachment threat against Supreme Court justice
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Auto workers escalate strike, walking out at Ford’s largest factory and threatening Stellantis
7th person charged after South Korean woman’s body found in trunk near Atlanta
Taylor Swift Shares Sweet Moment With Adam Sandler and His Daughters at Enchanting Eras Film Premiere