Current:Home > NewsMexico sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after Hurricane Otis. But it hasn’t stopped the violence -Prime Capital Blueprint
Mexico sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after Hurricane Otis. But it hasn’t stopped the violence
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 20:01:58
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Mexican government sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after the resort was hit by Hurricane Otis on Oct. 25, but apparently that hasn’t stopped the violence this week.
The main Acapulco business chamber reported that gang threats and attacks have caused about 90% of the city’s passenger vans to stop running, affecting the resort’s main form of transport. The chamber said the violence was forcing businesses to close early on Thursday and Friday.
“Organized groups of people who have no conscience or commitment to Acapulco have committed criminal acts in broad daylight, threatening civilians with direct armed attacks, and this caused 90% of public transportation to shut down,” wrote Alejandro Martínez Sidney, president of the National Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Services in Acapulco.
“If this situation continues, we will be forced to close businesses,” he wrote in a statement Thursday. The problem continued into Friday, with few vans or buses seen in the streets.
Martínez Sidney was apparently referring to attacks on the privately-own and operate passenger vans in recent days. Local media reported that at least three vans had been burned, a practice that gangs often use to enforce extortion demands for daily protection payments from van drivers.
The Category 5 hurricane killed 52 people and left 32 missing, and severely damaged almost all of the resort’s hotels.
The government has pledged to build about three dozen barracks for the quasi-military National Guard in Acapulco. But even with throngs of troops now on the streets, the drug gang violence that has beset Acapulco for almost two decades appears to have continued.
Acapulco’s economy depends almost completely on tourism, and there are comparitively few visitors in the city, in part because only about 4,500 hotel rooms have been repaired, a small fraction of the tens of thousands the city once had.
Moreover, since the government has also sent about 3,000 federal employees to help in the rebuilding and repair efforts, they occupy many of the hotel rooms.
Violence isn’t new to the once-glamorous resort, and even in the first hours after the hurricane hit, almost every large store in the city was ransacked, while police and soldiers stood by.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Chilling 'Zone of Interest' imagines life next door to a death camp
- Ukraine lawmakers vote to legalize medical marijuana and help ease stress from the war with Russia
- 'Anyone But You': Glen Powell calls Sydney Sweeney the 'Miss Congeniality of Australia'
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Selena Gomez Reveals What She's Looking for in a Relationship Amid Benny Blanco Romance
- A Dutch court has sentenced a man convicted in a notorious Canadian cyberbullying case to 6 years
- New contract for public school teachers in Nevada’s most populous county after arbitration used
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- No. 1 recruit Jeremiah Smith ends speculation as Ohio State confirms signing Wednesday
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- 4 Indian soldiers killed and 3 wounded in an ambush by rebels in disputed Kashmir
- GM buys out nearly half of its Buick dealers across the country, who opt to not sell EVs
- New contract for public school teachers in Nevada’s most populous county after arbitration used
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Ex-Alabama prison officer gets 7 years behind bars for assaulting prisoners
- Cyprus minister says his nation leads EU in repatriations and migrant arrivals are down sharply
- 'The Masked Singer' unveils Season 10 winner: Watch
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
UEFA, FIFA 'unlawful' in European Super League blockade. What this means for new league
Golden Globe Awards attendees will receive $500K luxury gift bags: Here’s what’s inside
Comedian Jo Koy is picked to host the Golden Globes as award season kicks off
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
It's the winter solstice. Here are 5 ways people celebrate the return of light
'Anyone But You': Glen Powell calls Sydney Sweeney the 'Miss Congeniality of Australia'
Green River Killer victim identified as Lori Razpotnik 41 years after she went missing