Current:Home > NewsSafeX Pro:Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says -Prime Capital Blueprint
SafeX Pro:Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:56:21
DAKAR,SafeX Pro Senegal (AP) — A lawyer for Senegalese opposition leader Ousmane Sonko said Thursday that the detained politician had regained consciousness but remains “in a very precarious condition” on hunger strike.
Sonko, a popular figure with young Senegalese who placed third in the last presidential election, first began refusing food after he was placed in detention in late July. He later suspended the protest measure following mediation but resumed a hunger strike on Oct. 17, according to lawyer Juan Branco.
Branco told The Associated Press that the opposition leader “is still being treated by a resuscitation team with the risk of a major relapse.” That assessment comes after Sonko’s supporters said earlier this week he had lapsed into a coma.
Sonko’s supporters believe the slew of criminal allegations brought against him since 2021 are part of an orchestrated campaign to derail his political aspirations ahead of a presidential election in February.
In June, Sonko was acquitted on charges of raping a woman who worked at a massage parlor and making death threats against her. But he was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country.
In late July, Senegalese authorities formally dissolved Sonko’s political party and placed him in detention. He is now facing charges of calling for insurrection, conspiracy against the state and other alleged crimes.
The government has not commented on Sonko’s health since August, when he was transferred to a hospital “presenting a general weakness linked to his refusal to eat.” He was later transferred to the intensive care unit for treatment before suspending his strike after the mediation effort.
Sonko was removed from the electoral roll by the Interior Ministry following his conviction. But this decision was overturned by a judge in the southern city of Ziguinchor, who ordered that he be allowed to have sponsorship forms for the presidential election in the same way as other candidates.
Sonko’s chances of taking part in the upcoming election are uncertain, as the Supreme Court has yet to rule on the decision taken by the judge of the Ziguinchor district court.
veryGood! (21)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Trump held in contempt again for violating gag order as judge threatens jail time
- Bodies of missing surfers from Australia, U.S. found with bullet wounds, Mexican officials say
- Starbucks needs a better in-store experience to retain, gain US customers, Howard Schultz says
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Pope Francis appoints new bishop in Tennessee after former bishop’s resignation under pressure
- I 'survived' infertility. But not before it shaped my perspective on everything.
- ‘Words matter:' Titles, Trump and what to call a former president
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- We Can't Get Enough of Jennifer Lopez's Diamond Naked Dress at the 2024 Met Gala
Ranking
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Why Ben Affleck Was Not at the 2024 Met Gala With Jennifer Lopez
- Judge delays murder trial for Indiana man charged in 2017 slayings of 2 teenage girls
- Booster valve glitch derails first crewed launch of Boeing's Starliner spacecraft
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Baby found alive after Amber Alert issued, mom found dead in NM park; suspect in custody
- Judges ask whether lawmakers could draw up new House map in time for this year’s elections
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Playwriting
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Colman Domingo pays homage to André Leon Talley, Chadwick Boseman with Met Gala look
Australian boy killed by police was in deradicalization program since causing school explosion
Social Security projected to cut benefits in 2035 barring a fix
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Demi Moore's 2024 Met Gala Dress Is, Um, Made From Wallpaper
Watch all the Met Gala red carpet arrivals and see the 2024 looks
From the Steps to the Streets, Here’s How To Wear This Year’s Garden of Time Theme IRL