Current:Home > ScamsJudge declines to dismiss lawsuits filed against rapper Travis Scott over deadly Astroworld concert -Prime Capital Blueprint
Judge declines to dismiss lawsuits filed against rapper Travis Scott over deadly Astroworld concert
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 20:39:06
HOUSTON (AP) — A judge has declined to dismiss hundreds of lawsuits filed against rap star Travis Scott over his role in the deadly 2021 Astroworld festival in which 10 people were killed in a crowd surge.
State District Judge Kristen Hawkins issued a one-page order denying Scott’s request that he and his touring and production company, XX Global, should be dropped from the case. The order was signed on Tuesday but made public on Wednesday.
Scott’s attorneys had argued during an April 15 hearing that he was not responsible for safety planning and watching for possible dangers at the concert on Nov. 5, 2021.
They argued Scott’s duties and responsibilities related to the festival only dealt with creative aspects, including performing and marketing.
However, Noah Wexler, an attorney for the family of Madison Dubiski, 23, one of the 10 people killed, said Scott, whose real name is Jacques Bermon Webster II, had a “conscious disregard for safety” at the sold-out festival. Wexler argued Scott encouraged people who didn’t have tickets to break in and ignored orders from festival organizers to stop the concert when told to do so as people in the crowd were hurt or dying.
Earlier this month, Hawkins dismissed lawsuits against Drake and several other individuals and companies involved in the show.
The lawsuit filed by Dubiski’s family is set to be the first one to go to trial on May 6.
The families of the 10 people who died, plus hundreds who were injured, sued Scott and Live Nation — the festival’s promoter — as well as dozens of other individuals and entities.
After an investigation by Houston police, no charges were filed against Scott, and a grand jury declined to indict him and five other people on any criminal counts related to the deadly concert.
Those killed, who ranged in age from 9 to 27, died from compression asphyxia, which an expert likened to being crushed by a car.
Some of the lawsuits filed by the families of the dead and the hundreds who were injured have been settled, including those filed by the families of four of the dead.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (6)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Eye ointments sold nationwide recalled due to infection risk
- Hawaii’s governor releases details of $175M fund to compensate Maui wildfire victims
- Here's why the 'Mary Poppins' rating increased in UK over 'discriminatory language'
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- What's on the Michigan ballot for the 2024 primary? Here's what's being voted on today.
- Mad Men Actor Eddie Driscoll Dead at 60
- New York City medical school students to receive free tuition moving forward thanks to historic donation
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- When is Part 2 of 'The Voice' Season 25 premiere? Time, date, where to watch and stream
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- What's New on Peacock in March 2024: Harry Potter, Kill Bill and More
- Body found in truck is man who drove off Alabama boat ramp in 2013
- MLB Misery Index: New York Mets season already clouded by ace's injury, star's free agency
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- IIHS' Top Safety Picks for 2024: See the cars, trucks, SUVs and minivans that made the list
- Man pleads guilty in deaths of 2 officers at Virginia college in 2022 and is sentenced to life
- Love Is Blind’s Jess Fires Back at Jimmy for “Disheartening” Comments About “Terrible” Final Date
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
In search of Powerball 2/26/24 winning numbers? Past winners offer clues to jackpot
NYC officials shutter furniture store illegally converted to house more than 40 migrants
Eiffel Tower reopens to visitors after six-day employee strike
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
2 men convicted of killing Run-DMC’s Jam Master Jay, nearly 22 years after rap star’s death
Bronze pieces from MLK memorial in Denver recovered after being sold for scrap
Best Lip Oils of 2024 That Will Make Your Lips Shiny, Not Sticky