Current:Home > InvestWhen will Lionel Messi retire from soccer? Here's what he said about when it's time -Prime Capital Blueprint
When will Lionel Messi retire from soccer? Here's what he said about when it's time
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:17:47
Is Lionel Messi ready to retire?
Not yet. But the 36-year-old Argentine World Cup champion and Inter Miami star has an idea of how he will approach retirement – when the time is right.
“I know that (I'll retire) the moment I feel that I am no longer able to perform, that I'm not enjoying myself, that I'm not helping my teammates,” Messi said on MBC1’s Big Time Podcast, which was released Tuesday night but recorded in early February when Messi was in Saudi Arabia. “I am very self-critical. I know when I am good, when I am bad, when I play well, when I play badly.
“And when I feel it is time to take that step, I will take it without thinking about age. If I feel good, I will always try to continue competing, because it is what I like and what I know how to do.”
Messi is in his second season with Inter Miami in Major League Soccer, and signed with the club co-owned by Jorge and Jose Mas and David Beckham through December 2025.
He is expected to join Argentina this summer for Copa America 2024, which could be his last major international competition.
Messi said the Qatar World Cup in December 2022 would be his last. He led Argentina to its third World Cup title, marking the crowning achievement in his legendary soccer career.
Messi said if Argentina had not won the World Cup, his international career would be over. Now, he’s just trying to soak every moment he can in the twilight of his career.
“On a sporting level, I was lucky to be able to achieve everything in my career, to have achieved my dreams. And the truth is that I couldn't ask for more both from a professional and human level, as well as with my family, my friends. I try to enjoy everything that God has given me so far, which is a lot,” Messi said.
What will Messi do or pursue after playing soccer? He doesn’t know quite yet, which is one reason he continues to play.
“The truth is I haven't thought about it yet,” Messi said regarding post-career motives. “Today I try to enjoy the day to day, the moments, without thinking about what comes after.
“I don't have anything clear yet," he said. "I hope to continue playing for a while longer, which is what I like. When the time comes, I will surely find the way to what fulfills me, what I like and a new role.”
Messi is rehabbing from a hamstring injury with Inter Miami, causing him to miss two friendlies with Argentina in the last week. It’s unclear whether Messi will play in Inter Miami’s next game at home Saturday against New York City FC.
Inter Miami hopes Messi will be healthy and available for two matches against LIGA MX side Monterrey in the quarterfinals of the Concacaf Champions Cup on April 3 and April 10.
veryGood! (3663)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Tucker Carlson, the fired Fox News star, makes bid for relevance with Putin interview
- Nevada high court dismisses casino mogul Steve Wynn’s defamation suit against The Associated Press
- Total solar eclipse will be visible to millions. What to know about safety, festivities.
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Georgia football zooms past own record by spending $5.3 million on recruiting
- Have you had a workplace crush or romance gone wrong? Tell us about it.
- How much are 2024 Super Bowl tickets? See prices for average, cheapest and most expensive seats
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- California's big cities are usually dry. Floods make a homelessness crisis even worse.
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Frankenstein stories are taking over Hollywood. But this time, women are the focus.
- Travis Kelce dresses to impress. Here are 9 of his best looks from this NFL season
- Oregon timber company sues Forest Service for not putting out 2020 wildfire before blowup
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Inert 1,000-pound bomb from World War II era dug up near Florida airport
- Floridians shaken by 4.0 magnitude earthquake about 100 miles off the coast in the Atlantic Ocean
- Supreme Court skeptical of ruling Trump ineligible for 2024 ballot in Colorado case
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
DJ Tiësto Pulls Out of Super Bowl 2024 Due to Family Emergency
Astronomers find evidence of ocean world beneath surface of Saturn's tiny 'Death Star' moon
Goldfish believed to be world's longest caught in Australia: He was a monster
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Vornado recalls 2 million garment steamers sold at Walmart, Amazon and Bed Bath & Beyond due to serious burn risk
2 new ancient shark species identified after fossils found deep in Kentucky cave
The Swift-Kelce romance sounds like a movie. But the NFL swears it wasn't scripted