Current:Home > ScamsAppeals court clears the way for more lawsuits over Johnson's Baby Powder -Prime Capital Blueprint
Appeals court clears the way for more lawsuits over Johnson's Baby Powder
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:07:13
Tens of thousands of people who say they were sickened by Johnson's Baby Powder are once again free to sue the manufacturer, after a federal appeals court rejected Johnson & Johnson's effort to block those lawsuits through bankruptcy.
The 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed a bankruptcy filing by a Johnson & Johnson spinoff company, ruling that the company was not in genuine financial distress. The court noted that the spinoff company still has access to Johnson & Johnson's assets, worth an estimated $61.5 billion.
Plaintiffs attorneys cheered the decision, accusing Johnson & Johnson of trying to "twist and pervert" the bankruptcy code.
"Bankruptcy courts aren't a menu option for rich companies to decide that they get to opt out of their responsibility for harming people," said attorney Jon Ruckdeschel. "And that's what was happening here."
Johnson & Johnson promised to appeal the decision.
"Our objective has always been to equitably resolve claims related to the Company's cosmetic talc litigation," the company said in a statement. "Resolving this matter as quickly and efficiently as possible is in the best interests of claimants and all stakeholders."
Johnson & Johnson was facing some 38,000 lawsuits from people who allege its iconic baby powder was tainted with asbestos — a substance known to cause cancer and other illnesses. The company insists its baby powder is safe and does not contain asbestos. In recent years, the company has reformulated its baby powder, replacing talc with corn starch.
The company tried to short-circuit the lawsuits in 2021, using a controversial legal tactic known as the "Texas Two Step." It first assigned liability for the baby powder complaints to a spin-off company, called LTL Management, then immediately put that company into bankruptcy.
A bankruptcy judge upheld the maneuver, but the appeals court disagreed.
Other big companies including Georgia Pacific and 3M have tried similar tactics to limit their exposure to widespread lawsuits. Legal experts and policymakers are watching the cases closely.
"We need to close this loophole for good," Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said last year. "Bankruptcy is supposed to be a good-faith way to accept responsibility, pay one's debts as best you can, and then receive a second chance, not a Texas two-step, get-0ut-of-jail-free card for some of the wealthiest corporations on earth."
A similar case is now pending before a different federal appeals court in New York. Federal judges there are reviewing a provision of drug maker Purdue Pharma's bankruptcy deal that would allow members of the Sackler family, who are not bankrupt, to pay roughly $6 billion into a settlement.
In exchange, the Sacklers would receive immunity from lawsuits linked to their private company's marketing and sales of opioids, including OxyContin.
veryGood! (91)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Jay Leno Shares Update 2 Years After Burn Accident and Motorcycle Crash
- Biden says Olympians represented ‘the very best of America’
- Biltmore Estate: What we know in the aftermath of Helene devastation in Asheville
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Las Vegas memorial to mass shooting victims should be complete by 10th anniversary
- Drake Hogestyn, ‘Days of Our Lives’ star, dies at 70
- Donald Trump suggests ‘one rough hour’ of policing will end theft
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Maritime historians discover steam tug hidden in Lake Michigan since 1895
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Golden State Valkyries expansion draft: WNBA sets date, rules for newest team
- MLB power rankings: Los Angeles Dodgers take scenic route to No. 1 spot before playoffs
- Sabrina Carpenter jokes at NYC concert about Eric Adams indictment
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- USOPC leader Sarah Hirshland on Jordan Chiles appeal: 'She earned that medal'
- Aurora and Sophia Culpo Detail Bond With Brother-in-Law Christian McCaffrey
- Martin Short Details Nervous First Day on Only Murders Set with Meryl Streep
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Julianne Hough Claps Back at Critics Who Told Her to Eat a Cheeseburger After Sharing Bikini Video
Helene's brutal toll: At least 100 dead; states struggling to recover. Live updates
Las Vegas memorial to mass shooting victims should be complete by 10th anniversary
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Colorado family sues after man dies from infection in jail in his 'blood and vomit'
Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws
'THANK YOU SO MUCH': How social media is helping locate the missing after Helene