Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Wisconsin sexual abuse case against defrocked Cardinal McCarrick suspended -Prime Capital Blueprint
SafeX Pro:Wisconsin sexual abuse case against defrocked Cardinal McCarrick suspended
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:18:40
MADISON,SafeX Pro Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin judge suspended charges against defrocked Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, accused of sexually assaulting a boy in the 1970s, ruling Wednesday that the former cleric is incompetent for trial because of dementia.
The decision will be reviewed at the end of the year, according to court records.
McCarrick, who did not appear in person for the hearing but listened in by phone, was charged with sexually assaulting an 18-year-old man more than 45 years ago, court records show. A criminal complaint alleges he fondled the man in 1977 while staying at a cabin on Geneva Lake in southeastern Wisconsin.
The alleged victim, who was not named, also told investigators that McCarrick had repeatedly sexually assaulted him since he was 11 and even brought him to parties where other adult men abused him, according to the complaint.
McCarrick’s Wisconsin attorney did not immediately respond to an email request for comment.
Peter Isely, program director of Nate’s Mission, a Wisconsin-based project of Ending Clergy Abuse, issued a statement saying the charge “would bring McCarrick to some kind of justice. For a victim to see his offender before a judge — even if that appearance is by phone — it can be a day of emancipation and liberation from carrying the awful burden of shame and secrecy that are an inevitable consequence of these crimes.”
McCarrick was removed from the priesthood in 2019 after a Vatican investigation found he had sexually molested adults and children.
He became the highest-ranking Catholic official in the U.S. to face criminal charges for sexual abuse when he was accused in 2021 of assaulting a teenage boy at a wedding reception in Massachusetts in 1974. His attorneys asked the judge earlier this year to dismiss the charges in that case, saying McCarrick, now 92 and suffering from dementia, was not competent to stand trial.
The once-powerful priest was ordained in 1958 and became archbishop in Newark, New Jersey, in 1986 and then archbishop of Washington, D.C., in 2000, rising to power despite church officials’ knowledge of accusations against him. A two-year Vatican investigation into McCarrick’s tenure found credible reports of his problematic behavior dating back to 1999, including an inquiry confirming that he slept with seminarians.
The church has confirmed it made financial settlements with adults who accused McCarrick of sexual misconduct. The cardinal retired in 2006 but continued to be active in political circles until he was defrocked by Pope Francis in 2019.
Wisconsin prosecutors learned of the alleged 1977 assault through a program dedicated to prosecuting instances of abuse by faith leaders, they said in a statement at the time McCarrick was charged. Officials were able to charge him because the statute of limitations does not apply to people who are not residents of the state. A similar law allowed Massachusetts prosecutors to bring their case against McCarrick more than 40 years later.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Inside the Love Lives of the Stars of Succession
- A step-by-step guide to finding a therapist
- What Happened to Natalee Holloway: Breaking Down Every Twist in the Frustrating Case
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- A Judge’s Ruling Ousted Federal Lands Chief. Now Some Want His Decisions Tossed, Too
- U.S. maternal deaths keep rising. Here's who is most at risk
- The NCAA looks to weed out marijuana from its banned drug list
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Half the World’s Sandy Beaches May Disappear by Century’s End, Climate Study Says
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- McCarthy says he supports House resolutions to expunge Trump's impeachments
- Titan sub implosion highlights extreme tourism boom, but adventure can bring peril
- 3 San Antonio police officers charged with murder after fatal shooting
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Enbridge Fined for Failing to Fully Inspect Pipelines After Kalamazoo Oil Spill
- Kim Kardashian Reveals the Meaningful Present She Gives Her 4 Kids Each Year on Their Birthdays
- How Jessica Biel Helped the Cruel Summer Cast Capture the Show’s Y2K Setting
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Climate Change Makes a (Very) Brief Appearance in Dueling Town Halls Held by Trump and Biden
Checking in on the Cast of Two and a Half Men...Men, Men, Men, Manly Men
Helping the Snow Gods: Cloud Seeding Grows as Weapon Against Global Warming
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Biden's sleep apnea has led him to use a CPAP machine at night
OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush said in 2021 he'd broken some rules in design of Titan sub that imploded
Honolulu Sues Petroleum Companies For Climate Change Damages to City