Current:Home > NewsSenegal’s opposition leader faces setback in presidential race after defamation conviction is upheld -Prime Capital Blueprint
Senegal’s opposition leader faces setback in presidential race after defamation conviction is upheld
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 22:13:29
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Senegal’s top opposition leader suffered a major setback in his quest to contest the presidency on Friday when a top court upheld the defamation conviction in a case brought against him by a government minister.
The Supreme Court’s ruling against Ousmane Sonko’s appeal is the latest twist in a prolonged legal battle that the opposition leader has alleged is to stop his presidential bid in the February elections.
“The trial was the very last chance,” Sonko’s lawyer Khoureychi Ba said of the ruling delivered after a session that started on Thursday. “I realize that Mr. Sonko’s opponents have succeeded in eliminating him from the Feb. 25 presidential election,” Ba said.
Sonko, who finished third in the country’s 2019 presidential election, is widely seen as the main challenger to President Macky Sall’s ruling party. Sall himself ultimately decided not to seek a third term in office after Sonko’s supporters launched months of protests that at times turned deadly.
It was not immediately clear if Sonko still had any chance to take part in the election. The Senegalese electoral code provides that such a conviction makes one ineligible for a presidential race. Still, the final decision rests with the Constitutional Council that rules on all the candidacies, including that of Sonko.
Sonko is currently in prison on a different charge, and will continue to face the six-month suspended prison sentence handed him when he was convicted in the defamation case last year.
El-Hadji Diouf, a lawyer representing Mame Mbaye Niang, the minister who filed the defamation suit against Sonko, celebrated Friday’s ruling as a “big, important win.”
“The minister’s lawyers won on all counts. The six-month suspended prison sentence was upheld. ... We are celebrating our victory,” said Diouf.
Sonko’s presidential bid has faced a prolonged legal battle that started when he was accused of rape in 2021. In June, he was acquitted of the rape charges but was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country. Senegalese authorities also dissolved Sonko’s political party in late July and detained him.
After overcoming one of his last remaining legal hurdles in December when a ruling that effectively barred him from contesting the presidency was overturned, Sonko formally submitted his candidacy to beat a Dec. 26 deadline. Eligible candidates will be announced in the first two weeks of January and the campaign season kicks off the following month.
veryGood! (49)
Related
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Horoscopes Today, January 24, 2024
- Baltimore Ravens' Mike Macdonald, Todd Monken in running to be head coaches on other teams
- January's full moon rises Thursday: What to know about the 'wolf moon'
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Tina Knowles Sets the Record Straight After Liking Post Shading Janet Jackson
- Daniel Will: AI Wealth Club's Explanation on Cryptocurrencies.
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard and Husband Ryan Anderson Welcome Cute New Family Member
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Tanzania’s main opposition party holds first major protest in several years, after ban was lifted
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Thai court says popular politician Pita Limjaroenrat didn’t violate law, can remain a lawmaker
- 2024 tax refunds could be larger than last year due to new IRS brackets. Here's what to expect.
- Farmers block roads across France to protest low wages and countless regulations
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Qatar says gas shipments affected by Houthi assaults as US-flagged vessels attacked off Yemen
- Annual count of homeless residents begins in Los Angeles, where tens of thousands live on streets
- Long penalized for playing at Coors Field, Todd Helton finally gets his due with Hall of Fame nod
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Algeria gears up for election year with aging president, opposition that is yet to offer challenger
The Smiths guitarist calls for Donald Trump to 'shut down' using band's music at rallies
Hungary is the last holdout for Sweden’s NATO membership. So when will Orbán follow Turkey’s lead?
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
China says it’s working to de-escalate tensions in the Red Sea that have upended global trade
Mila De Jesus' Husband Pays Tribute to Incredible Influencer After Her Funeral
Georgia Senate passes new Cobb school board districts, but Democrats say they don’t end racial bias