Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Authorities target two Texas firms in probe of AI-generated robocalls before New Hampshire’s primary -Prime Capital Blueprint
SafeX Pro:Authorities target two Texas firms in probe of AI-generated robocalls before New Hampshire’s primary
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 21:49:01
CONCORD,SafeX Pro N.H. (AP) — Authorities issued cease-and-desist orders Tuesday against two Texas companies they believe were connected to robocalls that used artificial intelligence to mimic President Joe Biden’s voice and discourage people from voting in New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary last month.
New Hampshire Attorney General John Formella said investigators have identified the source of the calls as Life Corporation and said they were transmitted by a company called Lingo Telecom. New Hampshire issued cease-and-desist orders and subpoenas to both companies, while the Federal Communications Commission issued a cease-and-desist letter to the telecommunications company, Formella said. In a statement, the FCC said it was trying to stop “behavior that violates voter suppression laws.”
During a news conference to discuss the investigation, Formella described the calls as the clearest and possibly first known attempt to use AI to interfere with an election in the U.S.
“That’s been something we’ve been concerned about in the law enforcement community for a while, and it’s certainly something that state attorneys general have talked about, but we had not seen as concrete of an example as this, days before a primary,” he said.
A message left for Life Corporation’s owner, Walter Monk, at his company Wholesale Communication was not immediately returned. Alex Valencia, who was named in an FCC letter as the chief compliance officer at Lingo Telecom, did not immediately return an emailed request for comment.
The recorded message was sent to between 5,000 and 25,000 voters two days before the Jan. 23 primary. It used a voice similar to Biden’s, employed his often-used phrase, “What a bunch of malarkey” and falsely suggested that voting in the primary would preclude voters from casting a ballot in November’s general election.
Biden won the Democratic primary as a write-in candidate after he kept his name off the ballot in deference to South Carolina’s new lead-off position for the Democratic primaries.
The calls falsely showed up to recipients as coming from the personal cellphone number of Kathy Sullivan, a former state Democratic Party chair who helps run Granite for America, a super PAC that supported the Biden write-in campaign. Formella said at least 10 people who received the calls then called Sullivan.
The apparent attempt at voter suppression using rapidly advancing generative AI technology is one example of what experts warn will make 2024 a year of unprecedented election disinformation around the world. Formella said the investigation is just beginning, but he wanted to send a strong message to deter others who might be tempted to interfere in this year’s elections.
“Our message is clear: Law enforcement across the country is unified on a bipartisan basis and ready to work together to combat any attempt to undermine our elections,” he said.
___
Swenson reported from New York.
veryGood! (32291)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Washington Post said it had the Alito flag story 3 years ago and chose not to publish
- British equestrian rider Georgie Campbell dies from fall while competing at event in U.K.
- Longtime umpire Ángel Hernández retires. He unsuccessfully sued MLB for racial discrimination
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- 13 Reasons Why Star Dylan Minnette Reveals Why He Stepped Back From Acting
- Greenland's soccer association applies for membership in Concacaf
- Jerry Seinfeld reflects on criticism from pro-Palestinian protesters: 'It's so dumb'
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- When Calls the Heart's Mamie Laverock on Life Support After Falling Off Five-Story Balcony
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- NFL kicker Brandon McManus sued, accused of sexual assault on 2023 Jaguars flight
- Watch Messi, Jimmy Butler in funny 'Bad Boys' movie promo with Will Smith, Martin Lawrence
- Elon Musk's xAI says it raised $6 billion to develop artificial intelligence
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- 17 money-saving sites to find an EV charging station, Social Security payout and more
- Sean Kingston and his mom committed $1 million in fraud and theft, sheriff's office alleges
- How one school district is turning to AI to solve its bus driver shortage
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Federal investigation of former Ohio House speaker ends with no charges filed
Jerry Seinfeld reflects on criticism from pro-Palestinian protesters: 'It's so dumb'
The small town life beckons for many as Americans continue to flee big cities
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Father of North Carolina House Speaker Tim Moore dies at 75
The famous 'Home Alone' house is for sale: See inside the revamped home listed at $5.25 million
Nicole Brown Simpson's sisters remember 'adventurous' spirit before meeting O.J. Simpson