Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|Governor reacts to backlash after suspending right to carry firearms in public -Prime Capital Blueprint
Poinbank Exchange|Governor reacts to backlash after suspending right to carry firearms in public
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 18:05:19
New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham told "GMA3" she has the "courage" to take a stand against gun violence in response to backlash over her emergency public health order temporarily suspending the right to carry firearms in public in and Poinbank Exchangearound Albuquerque.
The Democratic governor issued on Friday a 30-day suspension of open and concealed carry laws in Bernalillo County, where Albuquerque, the state's most populous city, is seated.
The move was met with pushback from gun rights groups, several of which have since filed lawsuits seeking to block the order, as well as some law enforcement officials and elected leaders. Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen said on Monday his office will not enforce the ban. Two Republican state representatives, John Block and Stefani Lord, are calling for the governor to be impeached over the orders.
MORE: Governor suspends right to carry firearms in public in Albuquerque due to gun violence
"Everyone is terrified of the backlash for all of these political reactions," Lujan Grisham told Eva Pilgrim on "GMA3" Wednesday. "None of those individuals or groups focused on the actual injuries or deaths of the public."
"They aren't dealing with this as the crisis that it is," she continued.
The governor cited the recent shooting deaths of three children, including an 11-year-old boy gunned down outside a minor league baseball park last week, in issuing the temporary ban.
The decree came a day after Lujan Grisham declared gun violence a statewide public health emergency, saying "the rate of gun deaths in New Mexico increased 43% from 2009 to 2018." Gun violence is the leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 19 in New Mexico, she said.
"How would you feel in a city or a community if people had handguns in their belts, on parks, near schools, on public trails, at the grocery store?" Lujan Grisham told "GMA3." "It's outrageous and it must stop. And I will keep doing everything that's based in science and fact and public safety efforts to clean up our cities to make this the safest state in America. And I will not stop until that's done."
In announcing the order, Lujan Grisham acknowledged it would face immediate challenges over constitutional rights. At least four lawsuits have since been filed in federal court seeking to block the order, with the Gun Owners Foundation, National Association for Gun Rights and We The Patriots USA among the various plaintiffs.
MORE: New Mexico governor's temporary ban on carrying guns in public meets resistance
A motion hearing in the civil cases is scheduled for 1 p.m. MT on Wednesday before a federal judge in Albuquerque.
New Mexico Attorney General Raul Torrez, a fellow Democrat, has said he will not defend the state in the lawsuits regarding the public health emergency order, stating in a letter that he does not believe the order will have any meaningful impact on public safety.
When asked what she would say in response, Lujan Grisham told GMA she would have the same response for other individuals.
"I hope that the public's response is if we now have elected leaders to have the courage to stand up for children," she said. "I don't know why we're electing individuals who aren't going to stand up for the people who need us to make sure they're safe and protected."
ABC News' Bill Hutchinson contributed to this report.
veryGood! (24)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- 49-year-old California man collapses, dies while hiking on Mount Shasta, police say
- Graceland is not for sale, Elvis Presley’s granddaughter Riley Keough says in lawsuit
- Defense witness who angered judge in Trump’s hush money trial will return to the stand
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- ‘Top two’ primary election measure makes South Dakota’s November ballot
- Phillies star Bryce Harper helps New Jersey teen score date to prom
- Max the cat receives honorary doctorate in 'litter-ature’ from Vermont university
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- US Open champ Coco Gauff calls on young Americans to get out and vote. ‘Use the power that we have’
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- ICC prosecutor applies for arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Hamas leaders
- US Open champ Coco Gauff calls on young Americans to get out and vote. ‘Use the power that we have’
- Republicans Ted Cruz and Katie Britt introduce bill to protect IVF access
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- 14-year-old among four people killed in multi-vehicle crash on I-75 in Georgia, police say
- Celtics without Kristaps Porzingis in Eastern Conference finals Game 1 against Pacers
- Dolly Parton pays tribute to late '9 to 5' co-star Dabney Coleman: 'I will miss him greatly'
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
North Carolina court throws out conviction of man with guns inside car on campus
Attorneys stop representing a Utah mom and children’s grief author accused of killing her husband
49-year-old California man collapses, dies while hiking on Mount Shasta, police say
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Video shows alligator's 'death roll' amid struggle with officers on North Carolina highway
NRA names new leadership to replace former CEO found liable for wrongly spending millions
Pregnant Ashley Tisdale Reacts to Vanessa Hudgens Expecting Her First Baby