Current:Home > ScamsCredit Suisse faulted over probe of Nazi-linked bank accounts -Prime Capital Blueprint
Credit Suisse faulted over probe of Nazi-linked bank accounts
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 17:53:36
U.S. lawmakers have accused embattled Swiss bank Credit Suisse of limiting the scope of an internal investigation into Nazi clients and Nazi-linked bank accounts, including some that were open until just a few years ago.
The Senate Budget Committee says an independent ombudsman initially brought in by the bank to oversee the probe was "inexplicably terminated" as he carried out his work, and it faulted "incomplete" reports that were hindered by restrictions.
Credit Suisse said it was "fully cooperating" with the committee's inquiry but rejected some claims from the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Los Angeles-based Jewish human rights group, that brought to light in 2020 allegations of possible Nazi-linked accounts at Switzerland's second-largest bank.
Despite the hurdles, the reports from the ombudsman and forensic research team revealed at least 99 accounts for senior Nazi officials in Germany or members of a Nazi-affliliated groups in Argentina, most of which were not previously disclosed, the committee said Tuesday.
The reports "raise new questions about the bank's potential support for Nazis fleeing justice following World War II via so-called 'Ratlines," the committee said, referring to a network of escape routes used by Nazis after the war.
The committee said Credit Suisse "has pledged to continue its own investigation into remaining unanswered questions."
"When it comes to investigating Nazi matters, righteous justice demands that we must leave no stone unturned. Credit Suisse has thus far failed to meet that standard," said Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, the ranking Republican member of the budget panel.
The committee is "leaving no stone unturned when it comes to investigating Nazis and seeking justice for Holocaust survivors and their families, and we commit to seeing this investigation through," said Chairman Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democrat from Rhode Island.
Bank denies links to Nazis
Credit Suisse launched the internal investigation after the Simon Wiesenthal Center said it had information that the bank held potential Nazi-linked accounts that had not previously been revealed, including during a series of Holocaust-related investigations of the 1990s.
Late that decade, Swiss banks agreed to pay some $1.25 billion to Nazi victims and their families who accused the banks of stealing, hiding or sending to the Nazis hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Jewish holdings.
The bank said its two-year investigation into the questions raised by the Simon Wiesenthal Center found "no evidence" to support the allegations "that many people on an Argentine list of 12,000 names had accounts at Schweizerische Kreditanstalt" — the predecessor of Credit Suisse — during the Nazi era.
It said the investigation "fundamentally confirms existing research on Credit Suisse's history published in the context of the 1999 Global Settlement that provided binding closure for the Swiss banks regarding all issues relating to World War II."
The latest findings come soon after Credit Suisse, a pillar of Swiss banking whose origins date to 1856, was rescued in a government-orchestrated takeover by rival lender UBS.
The emergency action last month came after years of stock price declines, a string of scandals and the flight of depositors worried about Credit Suisse's future amid global financial turmoil stirred by the collapse of two U.S. banks.
- In:
- Credit Suisse
- Nazi
veryGood! (98)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Tammy has redeveloped into a tropical storm over the Atlantic Ocean, forecasters say
- A popular Kobe Bryant mural was ordered to be removed. Here's how the community saved it.
- COVID-19 treatments to enter the market with a hefty price tag
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Richard Moll, who found fame as a bailiff on the original sitcom ‘Night Court,’ dies at 80
- After another mass shooting, a bewildered and emotional NBA coach spoke for the country
- Halloween weekend full moon: Look up to see October 2023 hunter's moon
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- After another mass shooting, a bewildered and emotional NBA coach spoke for the country
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- A spider web of Hamas tunnels in Gaza Strip raises risks for an Israeli ground offensive
- Cruise, GM’s robotaxi service, suspends all driverless operations nationwide
- Maine’s close-knit deaf community is grieving in the wake of shootings that killed 4 beloved members
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Toyota recalls 751,000 Highlander vehicles for risk of parts falling off while driving
- Pope orders Vatican to reopen case of priest ousted from Jesuits after claims of adult abuse
- Catalytic converter theft claims fell in first half of year, first time in 3 years, State Farm says
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Cultural figures find perils to speaking out and staying silent about Mideast crisis
How to grow facial hair: Tips from a dermatologist
Manhunt for Maine mass shooting suspect continues as details on victims emerge
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Hunt for killer of 18 people ends in Maine. What happened to the suspect?
Five years later, trauma compounds for survivors marking Tree of Life massacre amid Israel-Hamas war
3 teens were shot and wounded outside a west Baltimore high school as students were arriving