Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Family of American caught in Congo failed coup says their son went to Africa on vacation -Prime Capital Blueprint
Fastexy:Family of American caught in Congo failed coup says their son went to Africa on vacation
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:24:10
SALT LAKE CITY,Fastexy Utah (AP) — The family of an American caught up in a failed coup attempt in Congo said their son, Tyler Thompson, was in Africa on vacation with family friends and had not previously engaged in political activism, in a statement provided to The Associated Press.
“We are stunned and heartbroken by the videos we have seen from the coup attempt,” his stepmother, Miranda Thompson, said in a message on X, the social media platform. “We have no idea how he got wrapped up in this situation, which is completely out of character for him. We are certain he did not go to Africa with plans for political activism.”
Thompson was among at least two other Americans who were named by the Congolese army as part of a failed effort to overthrow the government in Kinshasa in the early hours of Sunday morning under an eccentric, self-exiled leader, Christian Malanga. The two other Americans allegedly involved were a convicted marijuana trafficker, Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun, and Malanga’s 21-year-old son, Marcel, who was arrested by Congolese forces.
Malanga, the alleged leader, was shot dead after resisting arrest, the Congolese army said. In all, six people were killed in the attack on the presidential palace and another on the residence of a close ally of President Felix Tshisekedi.
On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemned the attack in a call with Tshisekedi and offered help from the U.S. with the investigation, according to a summary of the call.
The stepmother said Thompson was not politically engaged and was excited to see the world with family friends. “He is a good kid, a hard worker and a respectful young man. We’re so lost as to how he ended up in this mess,” she said.
The U.S. Embassy in Congo said Thursday that it was still waiting for the Congolese government to provide evidence that the arrested individuals were Americans before it could provide consular services to them.
The Congolese government has not given a date for when the suspects will appear in court.
___
Donati reported from Dakar, Senegal.
veryGood! (26)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- NBA players express concern for ex-player Kyle Singler after social media post
- Elton John Details Strict Diet in His 70s
- US overdose deaths are down, giving experts hope for an enduring decline
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Congress is revisiting UFOs: Here's what's happened since last hearing on extraterrestrials
- Amazon Best Books of 2024 revealed: Top 10 span genres but all 'make you feel deeply'
- Kate Hudson and Goldie Hawn’s SKIMS Holiday Pajamas Are Selling Out Fast—Here’s What’s Still Available
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Old Navy's Early Black Friday Deals Start at $1.97 -- Get Holiday-Ready Sweaters, Skirts, Puffers & More
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Get well, Pop. The Spurs are in great hands until your return
- Disease could kill most of the ‘ohi‘a forests on Hawaii’s Big Island within 20 years
- Quincy Jones' Cause of Death Revealed
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Gisele Bündchen Makes First Major Appearance Since Pregnancy
- DWTS’ Sasha Farber and Jenn Tran Prove They're Closer Than Ever Amid Romance Rumors
- 'Full House' star Dave Coulier diagnosed with stage 3 cancer
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Kathy Bates likes 'not having breasts' after her cancer battle: 'They were like 10 pounds'
Record-setting dry conditions threaten more US wildfires, drinking water supplies
Review: 'Emilia Pérez' is the most wildly original film you'll see in 2024
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
'Full House' star Dave Coulier diagnosed with stage 3 cancer
'Cowboy Carter' collaborators to be first country artists to perform at Rolling Loud
Jana Kramer’s Ex Mike Caussin Shares Resentment Over Her Child Support Payments