Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Former porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed -Prime Capital Blueprint
Oliver James Montgomery-Former porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 13:29:15
RALEIGH,Oliver James Montgomery N.C. (AP) — A former porn shop worker who was accused by North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson of defamation has asked a court to throw out the lawsuit against him, calling the politician’s allegations “bizarre” and his demand for at least $50 million in damages a violation of civil court rules.
Robinson, the Republican nominee for governor, filed a lawsuit in Wake County court Tuesday against CNN and Louis Love Money, of Greensboro, saying they published “disgusting lies” about him.
The lawsuit identified a CNN report last month that Robinson made explicit racial and sexual posts on a pornography website’s message board more than a decade ago. Weeks before CNN’s report, Money alleged in a music video and in a media interview that for several years starting in the 1990s, Robinson frequented a porn shop Money was working at, and that Robinson purchased porn videos from him.
Attorneys for Money, in filing a dismissal motion Wednesday, said that Robinson’s lawsuit violated a procedural rule that requires that a person seeking punitive damages state initially a demand for monetary damages “in excess of $25,000.”
The motion said the rule is designed to “prevent excess demands from leaking publicly in the media and tainting the judicial process.” Violating the rule, attorneys Andrew Fitzgerald and Peter Zellmer wrote, may “have been for the very purpose of creating media attention for Mr. Robinson’s campaign.”
Otherwise, the attorneys also are seeking a dismissal on the grounds that the allegations in the lawsuit, even if they were true, fail to establish a cause of action against Money.
“The complaint contains many impertinent and bizarre allegations,” they wrote.
Asked for a response to the motion, Robinson’s campaign referred to Tuesday’s news release announcing the lawsuit. In it, Robinson said claims from “grifters like Louis Love Money are salacious tabloid trash.”
Money on Tuesday said he stood by what he had said as truthful. CNN declined to comment on the lawsuit when it was filed and had not responded to it in court as of midday Thursday.
Robinson is running against Democratic nominee Josh Stein in the campaign to succeed term-limited Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper.
The CNN report led many fellow GOP elected officials and candidates, including presidential nominee Donald Trump, to distance themselves from Robinson’s gubernatorial campaign. Most of the top staff running Robinson’s campaign and his lieutenant governor’s office quit following the CNN report, and the Republican Governors Association stopped supporting Robinson’s bid.
The network report said it matched details of the account on the message board to other online accounts held by Robinson by comparing usernames, a known email address and his full name. CNN also reported that details discussed by the account holder matched Robinson’s age, length of marriage and other biographical information.
The lawsuit alleges that CNN published its report despite knowing, or recklessly disregarding, that Robinson’s personal data was previously compromised by data breaches.
veryGood! (16134)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Biden signs bills to reverse D.C. criminal code changes and declassify info on COVID-19 origins
- American tourist disappears while visiting ancient Mayan city
- Chrishell Stause Praises Amazing Mom Heather Rae El Moussa After Baby Tristan's Birth
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Long-ignored Fourth Mafia emerges as most violent in Italy: You always feel the fear
- Pentagon releases dramatic video said to show Russian jet collision with U.S. drone over Black Sea near Ukraine
- HSN's Shannon Smith and Shannon Fox Exit Network
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- China removes outspoken foreign minister Qin Gang and replaces him with his predecessor, Wang Yi
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- UBS to purchase Credit Suisse amid fallout from U.S. bank collapses
- Afghanistan school year begins without classes as students unaware and teen girls barred
- TikToker Alexandra Xandra Pohl Reveals What the Influencer Community Is Really Like
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Activists in Hong Kong hold first protest in years under strict new rules
- Shop These 26 Home, Beauty & Fashion Faves From Women of Color-Founded Brands
- Aubrey O'Day Shares She Suffered a Miscarriage
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Hayden Panettiere Shares Why She's Looking Forward to Discussing Her Struggles With Daughter Kaya
Shop the 8 Best Beach Tote Bags for Spring Break Starting at $10
Chelsea Houska Reveals How Daughter Aubree Found True Confidence On and Off Camera
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Influencer Rachel Hollis Celebrates Daughter's First Birthday Since Ex Dave Hollis' Death
Police seize cache of drugs branded with photos of Mafia leaders — including Cosa Nostra fugitive who was recently arrested
Pope Francis expands sex abuse law, reaffirms adults can be victims