Current:Home > ContactHow Jackie Kennedy Reacted to Marilyn Monroe's "Haunting" Phone Call to John F. Kennedy: Biographer -Prime Capital Blueprint
How Jackie Kennedy Reacted to Marilyn Monroe's "Haunting" Phone Call to John F. Kennedy: Biographer
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 14:01:41
Jackie Kennedy couldn't dial down her emotions after this phone call.
In J. Randy Taraborrelli new biography Jackie: Public, Private, Secret, the author compiled almost 25 years of research and interviews with her family, friends and former lovers into an in-depth portrait of the former First Lady. As such, it inevitably touches upon her husband President John F. Kennedy's alleged affair with Marilyn Monroe, which Taraborrelli claims consisted of a weekend-long fling in March 1962.
In fact, the book also details a brief but affecting phone call between Kennedy and Monroe one month after the Gentlemen Prefer Blondes star's affair with the then-president. So, what happened during the exchange?
Taraborrelli notes in the book that in April 1962, Kennedy received a phone call to her bedroom from Monroe while at the family's Hyannis Port, Massachusetts residence. The actress, whose distinctive voice was recognizable to Kennedy, had been calling looking for "Jack," prompting the First Lady to verify that it was Monroe calling. This prompted the Seven Year Itch star to reply, "Is this Jackie?" before asking if Kennedy could pass on a message to her husband that she had called. However, Monroe noted that she only wanted to say hi.
And as Taraborrelli put it, a stunned Kennedy said she would pass the message along before hanging up. However, the brief exchange, which according to the author occurred just four months before Monroe's death, left Kennedy with a whole lot of questions.
"There was something about that phone call," the biographer told Fox News July 18. "She later told family members that there was a haunting quality to Marilyn's voice that really stuck with her. And it's not like they even had any kind of deep conversation. But it was 10 years of wondering, was it really Marilyn Monroe? And that buzz stayed with the family."
Per the biography, Kennedy later described Monroe's voice during the conversation as having a "sad" and "ethereal, little-girl-lost quality," which she found to be "disturbing." And according to Jackie: Public, Private, Secret, it remains a mystery how Monroe even obtained the number—the bedroom was the only phone line in the house in which calls weren't intercepted by the Secret Service.
It was just one month after the phone call that Monroe performed her now-infamous rendition of "Happy Birthday" to JFK during his 45th birthday celebration—from which the First Lady was notably absent.
Following Monroe's death at age 36 that August, Tarborrelli noted to Fox that while Kennedy was "bereft" by Monroe's untimely death, she also always felt the star to be a "disaster waiting to happen," and "someone too vulnerable, too weak to be played with by JFK."
However, he also said she ultimately understood her husband. As he put it to the outlet: "Her main concern was JFK. She knew what it took to be with a very powerful man. And great men like JFK have great flaws."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (488)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Some Alabama websites hit by ‘denial-of-service’ computer attack
- Author Mitch Albom, 9 other Americans rescued from Haiti: 'We were lucky to get out'
- Dozens of performers pull out of SXSW in protest of military affiliations, war in Gaza
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Drake Bell Shares He Was Sexually Abused at 15
- You Have to See Kristen Stewart's Bold Dominatrix-Style Look
- Ben & Jerry's annual Free Cone Day returns in 2024: Here's when it is and what to know
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- More women's basketball coaches are making at least $1M annually, but some say not enough
Ranking
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Love Is Blind’s Jimmy and Chelsea Reveal Their Relationship Status After Calling Off Wedding
- Olivia Munn reveals breast cancer diagnosis, underwent double mastectomy
- The 8 Best Luxury Pillows That Are Editor-Approved and Actually Worth the Investment
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Michigan State's basketball maverick: How Tom Izzo has prospered on his terms for 30 years
- Kemp signs Georgia law reviving prosecutor sanctions panel. Democrats fear it’s aimed at Fani Willis
- What’s Pi Day all about? Math, science, pies and more
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Kansas will pay $1 million over the murder of a boy torture victim whose body was fed to pigs
Realtor.com adds climate change risk features; 40% of US homes show risks of heat, wind, air quality
Vermont man pleads not guilty to killing couple after his arrest at grisly
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
The Masked Singer Unveils Chrisley Family Member During Week 2 Elimination
Waymo’s robotaxi service expands into Los Angeles, starting free rides in parts of the city
Oklahoma outlawed cockfighting in 2002. A push to weaken penalties has some crowing fowl play