Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Guantanamo panel recommends 23-year sentences for 2 in connection with 2002 Bali attacks -Prime Capital Blueprint
Will Sage Astor-Guantanamo panel recommends 23-year sentences for 2 in connection with 2002 Bali attacks
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 19:56:26
WASHINGTON (AP) — A military panel at Guantanamo Bay,Will Sage Astor Cuba recommended 23 years in detention Friday for two Malaysian men in connection with deadly 2002 bombings in Bali, a spokesman for the military commission said.
The recommendation, following guilty pleas earlier this month under plea bargains for longtime Guantanamo detainees Mohammed Farik Bin Amin and Mohammed Nazir Bin Lep, marks comparatively rare convictions in the two decades of proceedings by the U.S. military commission at Guantanamo.
Guantanamo military commission spokesman Ronald Flesvig confirmed the sentencing recommendations.
The extremist group Jemaah Islamiyah killed 202 Indonesians, foreign tourists and others in two nearly simultaneous bombings at nightspots on the resort island of Bali.
The two defendants denied any role or advance knowledge of the attacks but under the plea bargains admitted they had over the years conspired with the network of militants responsible. The sentence recommendation still requires approval by the senior military authority over Guantanamo.
The two are among a total of 780 detainees brought to military detention at Guantanamo under the George W. Bush’s administration’s “war on terror” following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S. There have been only a handful of convictions over the years — eight, according to one advocacy group, Reprieve.
Defendants in some of the biggest attacks, including 9/11, remain in pretrial hearings. Prosecutors are seeking negotiated agreements to close that case and some others.
The prosecutions have been plagued by logistical difficulties, frequent turnover of judges and others, and legal questions surrounding the torture of detainees during CIA custody in the first years of their detention.
The military’s head of defense for the Guantanamo proceedings blamed the Bush administration’s early handling of the detainees — which included holding at secret “black sites” and torture in CIA custody — for the more than 20-year delay in the trial.
The slow pace “was extremely distressing and frustrated the desire of everyone for accountability and justice,” Brig. Gen. Jackie Thompson said in a statement.
Thirty detainees remain at Guantanamo. Sixteen of them have been cleared and are eligible for transfer out if a stable country agrees to take them. “The time for repatriating or transferring the cleared men is now,” Thompson said. He said the same for three others held at Guantanamo but never charged.
As part of their plea bargains, the two Malaysian men have agreed to provide testimony against a third Guantanamo detainee, an Indonesian man known as Hambali, in the Bali bombings.
Relatives of some of those killed in the Bali bombings testified Wednesday in a hearing in advance of sentencing, with the two accused in the courtroom and listening attentively.
“The reach of this atrocity knew no bounds, and has affected very many people,” testified Matthew Arnold of Birmingham, England, who lost his brother in the attacks.
A panel of five military officers delivered the recommendation after listening to the sentencing testimony.
The U.S. has held the two men at Guantanamo since 2006. Guantanamo authorities said the sentencing range before the military panel did not include an option to waive time already served.
Local news media in Malaysia have said that authorities there as of last year were exploring bringing the two back to their home country.
veryGood! (66824)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- 5 takeaways from the abortion pill case before the U.S. Supreme Court
- Feds say California’s facial hair ban for prison guards amounts to religious discrimination
- Lego moves to stop police from using toy's emojis to cover suspects faces on social media
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- What Lamar Odom Would Say to Ex Khloe Kardashian Today
- Kansas legislators pass a bill to require providers to ask patients why they want abortions
- McDonald's to start selling Krispy Kreme donuts, with national rollout by 2026
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Clive Davis on new artists like Bad Bunny, music essentials and Whitney Houston
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Supreme Court seems poised to reject abortion pill challenge after arguments over FDA actions
- Aerial images, video show aftermath of Baltimore bridge collapse
- Geoengineering Faces a Wave of Backlash Over Regulatory Gaps and Unknown Risks
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Fast food workers are losing their jobs in California as new minimum wage law takes effect
- Hunter Biden’s tax case heads to a California courtroom as his defense seeks to have it tossed out
- Feds say California’s facial hair ban for prison guards amounts to religious discrimination
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Struggling private Birmingham-Southern College in Alabama says it will close at end of May
Facebook pokes making a 2024 comeback: Here's what it means and how to poke your friends
RFK Jr. threatens to sue Nevada over ballot access
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Cases settled: 2 ex-officials of veterans home where 76 died in the pandemic avoid jail time
Texas’ migrant arrest law is on hold for now under latest court ruling
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is expected to announce his VP pick for his independent White House bid