Current:Home > reviewsCourt pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies -Prime Capital Blueprint
Court pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 01:18:34
NEW ORLEANS — A federal appeals court Friday temporarily paused a lower court's order limiting executive branch officials' communications with social media companies about controversial online posts.
Biden administration lawyers had asked the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans to stay the preliminary injunction issued on July 4 by U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty. Doughty himself had rejected a request to put his order on hold pending appeal.
Friday's brief 5th Circuit order put Doughty's injunction on hold "until further orders of the court." It called for arguments in the case to be scheduled on an expedited basis.
Filed last year, the lawsuit claimed the administration, in effect, censored free speech by discussing possible regulatory action the government could take while pressuring companies to remove what it deemed misinformation. COVID-19 vaccines, legal issues involving President Joe Biden's son Hunter and election fraud allegations were among the topics spotlighted in the lawsuit.
Doughty, nominated to the federal bench by former President Donald Trump, issued an Independence Day order and accompanying reasons that covered more than 160 pages. He said the plaintiffs were likely to win their ongoing lawsuit. His injunction blocked the Department of Health and Human Services, the FBI and multiple other government agencies and administration officials from "encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech."
Administration lawyers said the order was overly broad and vague, raising questions about what officials can say in conversations with social media companies or in public statements. They said Doughty's order posed a threat of "grave" public harm by chilling executive branch efforts to combat online misinformation.
Doughty rejected the administration's request for a stay on Monday, writing: "Defendants argue that the injunction should be stayed because it might interfere with the Government's ability to continue working with social-media companies to censor Americans' core political speech on the basis of viewpoint. In other words, the Government seeks a stay of the injunction so that it can continue violating the First Amendment."
In its request that the 5th Circuit issue a stay, administration lawyers said there has been no evidence of threats by the administration. "The district court identified no evidence suggesting that a threat accompanied any request for the removal of content. Indeed, the order denying the stay — presumably highlighting the ostensibly strongest evidence — referred to 'a series of public media statements,'" the administration said.
Friday's "administrative stay" was issued without comment by a panel of three 5th Circuit judges: Carl Stewart, nominated to the court by former President Bill Clinton; James Graves, nominated by former President Barack Obama; and Andrew Oldham, nominated by Trump. A different panel drawn from the court, which has 17 active members, will hear arguments on a longer stay.
veryGood! (1834)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Daughter of ex-MLB pitcher Greg Swindell found 'alive and well' in Oregon after search
- You practice good hygiene. So why do you still smell bad?
- Spider-Man's Marisa Tomei Shares Sweet Part of Zendaya and Tom Holland Romance
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Baywatch’s Nicole Eggert Shares She's in a Grey Area Amid Breast Cancer Battle
- Watch as curious black bear paws at California teen's leg in close encounter
- Historic ballpark featured in 'A League of Their Own' burns to the ground in Southern California
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- As NFL's ultimate kickoff X-factor, Cordarrelle Patterson could produce big returns for Steelers
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Tulsi Gabbard, who ran for 2020 Democratic nomination, endorses Trump against former foe Harris
- Judge in Texas orders pause on Biden program that offers legal status to spouses of US citizens
- Can you actually get pregnant during your period? What an OB/GYN needs you to know.
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- 10 most surprising roster cuts as NFL teams cut down to 53-man rosters
- 10-year-old boy dies in crash after man stole Jeep parked at Kenny Chesney concert: Police
- Former Indiana sheriff pleads guilty to charges that he spent funds on travel, gifts, other expenses
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Sarah Ferguson Shares Royally Sweet Note Honoring Queen Elizabeth II's Corgis
Man charged in Arkansas grocery store shooting sued by woman who was injured in the attack
10-year-old boy dies in crash after man stole Jeep parked at Kenny Chesney concert: Police
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Historic ballpark featured in 'A League of Their Own' burns to the ground in Southern California
Watch as curious black bear paws at California teen's leg in close encounter
Travis Kelce and Jason Kelce Score Eye-Popping Podcast Deal Worth at Least $100 Million