Current:Home > ScamsYouTube will no longer take down false claims about U.S. elections -Prime Capital Blueprint
YouTube will no longer take down false claims about U.S. elections
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 05:24:07
YouTube will no longer remove videos falsely claiming the 2020 U.S. presidential election was stolen, reversing a policy put in place in the contentious weeks following the 2020 vote.
The Google-owned video platform said in a blog post that it has taken down "tens of thousands" of videos questioning the integrity of past U.S. presidential elections since it created the policy in December 2020.
But two and a half years later, the company said it "will stop removing content that advances false claims that widespread fraud, errors, or glitches occurred in the 2020 and other past U.S. Presidential elections" because things have changed. It said the decision was "carefully deliberated."
"In the current environment, we find that while removing this content does curb some misinformation, it could also have the unintended effect of curtailing political speech without meaningfully reducing the risk of violence or other real-world harm," YouTube said.
The platform will continue to ban videos misleading voters about when, where, and how to vote, claims that discourage voting, and "content that encourages others to interfere with democratic processes."
It also prohibits some false claims about election fraud or errors in other countries, including the 2021 German federal election and the 2014, 2018, and 2022 Brazilian presidential elections.
YouTube's reversal of its prohibition on false claims about U.S. elections comes as the 2024 campaign is already underway, and former president and current Republican candidate Donald Trump continues to claim, without evidence, that he lost to Joe Biden in 2020 because of widespread fraud.
"YouTube was one of the last major social media platforms to keep in place a policy attempting to curb 2020 election misinformation. Now, it's decided to take the easy way out by giving people like Donald Trump and his enablers free rein to continue to lie without consequence about the 2020 elections," said Julie Millican, vice president of liberal watchdog Media Matters for America. "YouTube and the other platforms that preceded it in weakening their election misinformation policies, like Facebook, have made it clear that one attempted insurrection wasn't enough. They're setting the stage for an encore."
YouTube's policy went further than Facebook and Twitter, which said they would label but not take down false election claims.
Twitter stopped labeling false claims about the 2020 election early last year, saying it had been more than a year since the election was certified and Biden took office.
Facebook has pulled back on its use of labeling, according to a 2022 Washington Post analysis of unfounded election fraud claims on the platform.
veryGood! (15)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- California holds special election today to fill vacancy left by former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy
- President Obama's 2024 March Madness bracket revealed
- FBI director Christopher Wray speaks candidly on Laken Riley's death, threats to democracy, civil rights
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Best Buy plans to close 10 to 15 stores by 2025, according to recent earnings call
- Trump is suing ABC News and George Stephanopoulos for defamation. Here's what to know about his claim.
- Best March Madness upset picks: Our predictions for NCAA tournament first-round stunners
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Subway will replace Coca-Cola products with Pepsi in 2025
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Trump urges Supreme Court to grant him broad immunity from criminal prosecution in 2020 election case
- What is March Madness and how does it work?
- MacKenzie Scott, billionaire philanthropist and Amazon co-founder, donates $640 million to hundreds of nonprofits
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- North Carolina appeals court upholds ruling that kept Confederate monument in place
- AP documents grueling conditions in Indian shrimp industry that report calls “dangerous and abusive”
- Study finds 129,000 Chicago children under 6 have been exposed to lead-contaminated water
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
The Viral COSRX Snail Mucin Essence is Cheaper Than it was on Black Friday; Get it Before it Sells Out
England is limiting gender transitions for youths. US legislators are watching
More than six in 10 US abortions in 2023 were done by medication — a significant jump since 2020
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
WR Mike Williams headed to NY Jets on one-year deal as Aaron Rodgers gets another weapon
Things to know about the risk of landslides in the US
What Anne Hathaway Has to Say About a Devil Wears Prada Sequel