Current:Home > InvestNew ban on stopping on Las Vegas Strip bridges targets people with disabilities, lawsuit alleges -Prime Capital Blueprint
New ban on stopping on Las Vegas Strip bridges targets people with disabilities, lawsuit alleges
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 22:54:17
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A woman who uses a wheelchair due to a spinal injury has accused the county that includes Las Vegas of unfairly targeting people with disabilities under its new ban on standing or stopping while crossing pedestrian bridges on the Strip, according to a federal lawsuit filed Friday.
“Making criminals out of ordinary people who stop for even a few moments, like our client who has to stop periodically because she uses a manual wheelchair, is reckless,” said Athar Haseebullah, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada.
The ACLU’s legal challenge comes one month after the ordinance took effect in Clark County. The measure makes it a misdemeanor to stop, stand or engage in activity “that causes another person to stop” on Strip pedestrian bridges. That also includes up to 20 feet (6 meters) surrounding connected stairs, elevators and escalators.
Violators of the ordinance could face up to six months in jail or a $1,000 fine.
The ban doesn’t include standing or stopping if a person is waiting to use an elevator, stairway or escalator, but it doesn’t exempt people who stop due to a disability.
According to the lawsuit, Lisa McAllister, who can’t stand or walk due to a spinal injury, often stops unexpectedly either because her arms are tired, her wheelchair is malfunctioning or her path is blocked by other people.
Because of that, the lawsuit says, the ordinance “has effectively denied” McAllister and other people with disabilities the use of pedestrian bridges on the Strip because they cannot always cross without stopping. It also says that the ordinance has deterred McAllister, a Las Vegas resident, from returning to the Strip.
Visitors often stop on pedestrian bridges in the famed tourist corridor to take photos amid the glittery casino lights or to watch street performers.
The ACLU of Nevada is asking a judge to strike down the ordinance, which it says violates not only the rights of people with disabilities but also rights protected by the First Amendment, including protesting or performing on the street.
“Clark County has banned activities that receive the highest protections under the First Amendment,” the lawsuit states.
A spokesperson for the county said Friday that the county doesn’t comment on pending litigation. But in a statement last month, the county said that the ordinance isn’t meant to target street performers or people who stop to take pictures, but rather to increase public safety by ensuring a continuous flow of pedestrian traffic across the bridges.
The measure “will help to ensure our world-class tourism destination remains a safe place for people to visit and transverse,” the statement said.
veryGood! (778)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- A utility investigated but didn’t find a gas leak before a fatal Maryland house explosion
- Megan Thee Stallion addresses beef with Nicki Minaj: 'Don't know what the problem is'
- George R.R. Martin slams 'House of the Dragon' changes from book, spoils Season 3
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- US Open: Tiafoe, Fritz and Navarro reach the semifinals and make American tennis matter again
- Katy Perry dodges question about Dr. Luke after online backlash amid Kesha claims
- Nvidia, chip stocks waver after previous day's sell-off
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- GameStop turns select locations into retro stores selling classic consoles
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Teen charged with killing 4 at Georgia high school had been focus of earlier tips about threats
- 19 hurt after jail transport van collides with second vehicle, strikes pole northwest of Chicago
- Patrick Surtain II, Broncos agree to four-year, $96 million extension
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Asian stocks mixed after Wall Street extends losses as technology and energy stocks fall
- Proof Christina Hall and Ex Ant Anstead Are on Better Terms After Custody Battle
- Advocates seek rewrite of Missouri abortion-rights ballot measure language
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Jimmy McCain, a son of the late Arizona senator, registers as a Democrat and backs Harris
1000-Lb. Sisters’ Tammy Slaton Picks Up Sister Amy’s Kids After Her Arrest
Questions swirl around attempted jailbreak in Congo as families of victims demand accountability
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Katy Perry dodges question about Dr. Luke after online backlash amid Kesha claims
Joaquin Phoenix on 'complicated' weight loss for 'Joker' sequel: 'I probably shouldn't do this again'
You Have 24 Hours To Get 50% Off the Viral Benefit Fan Fest Mascara & More Sephora Deals