Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:Gilgo Beach murder suspect Rex Heuermann faces pretrial hearing today -Prime Capital Blueprint
Charles Langston:Gilgo Beach murder suspect Rex Heuermann faces pretrial hearing today
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:15:29
The Charles Langstonman charged with three of the notorious "Gilgo four" murders on New York's Long Island 13 years ago faced a pre-trial conference hearing Tuesday before a Suffolk County Judge.
Rex Heuermann, 59, was arrested last month and charged in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, 24, Megan Waterman, 22, and Amber Costello, 27. The bodies of the women, who authorities say were sex workers, were found wrapped in burlap on Ocean Parkway in Gilgo Beach.
Heuermann is also a prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, but has not been charged in that case. Police found at least 10 sets of human remains during their investigation.
Barthelemy’s remains were discovered during a training exercise on Dec. 11, 2010, along Ocean Parkway near Gilgo Beach. Two days later, the bodies of Brainard-Barnes, Waterman, and Costello were discovered.
Heuermann has pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail.
How police linked Heuermann to the cold cases
Police identified Heuermann as a person who could be a suspect in the case, tracked him down and found an abandoned pizza crust that he threw out in a Manhattan trash can, authorities said. The DNA on the food matched the DNA to a male hair found in the burlap that wrapped Waterman.
Authorities also discovered Heuermann had contacted two sex workers up to a week before his arrest.
Burner phone calls linked to Heuermann
Police say the victims had been been contacted by someone using four separate burner phones, even using one of the phones to taunt relatives of Barthelemy after she went missing. Heuermann lived in Massapequa Park and worked in Midtown Manhattan. Authorities say the women disappeared from Massapequa and that the taunting calls were made from Manhattan.
Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney said a search of Heuermann's house and yard turned up hundreds of weapons and "massive" amounts of other material.
Wife says she knew nothing of her husband's alleged crimes
Heuermann's wife of 27 years, Asa Ellerup, on Monday told CNN she filed for divorce from Heuermann after his arrest. She and her lawyer told CNN she had “no idea” of her husband’s alleged actions. Lawyer Bob Macedonio said investigators swarmed the family home, leaving it in a shambles and rattling their grown children.
“Everything in the house was turned upside down,” Macedonio said. “Dresser drawers were emptied out. The bathroom tub ... was actually cut open. The floors were ripped up. The couches and the mattresses have been removed.”
The family has received support, Macedonio said, including from the daughter of serial killer Keith Hunter Jesperson, the so-called "happy face killer" convicted of killing eight women over five years.
“It’s been extremely overwhelming for her and the children trying to piece life back together to what it was two and a half weeks ago,” Macedonio said. “I don’t know if they’re ever going to return to normalcy, but day by day she’s getting better.”
Contributing: Kayla Jimenez and Jeanine Santucci
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Pete Carroll out as Seattle Seahawks coach in stunning end to 14-year run leading team
- Gunmen in Ecuador fire shots on live TV as country hit by series of violent attacks
- Tennessee governor, music leaders launch push to protect songwriters and other artists against AI
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Security of Georgia's Dominion voting machines put on trial
- Panel of judges says a First Amendment challenge to Maryland’s digital ad tax should be considered
- Ronnie Long, Black man wrongfully convicted and imprisoned for 44 years, gets $25 million settlement and apology from city
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Ohio House overrides Republican governor’s veto of ban on gender affirming care for minors
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Who’s running for president? See a rundown of the 2024 candidates
- New Mexico Legislature confronts gun violence, braces for future with less oil wealth
- Best TD celebrations of 2023 NFL season: Dolphins' roller coaster, DK Metcalf's sign language
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Taliban detains dozens of women in Afghanistan for breaking hijab rules with modeling
- Benny T's dry hot sauces recalled over undisclosed wheat allergy risk
- The Universal Basic Income experiment in Kenya
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
RHOBH's Kyle Richards Reveals Plans to Leave Hollywood
Gunmen in Ecuador fire shots on live TV as country hit by series of violent attacks
Mega Millions January 9 drawing: No winners, jackpot climbs to $187 million
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Emma Stone, Ayo Edebiri and More Stars React to 2024 SAG Awards Nominations
What's next for Michigan, Jim Harbaugh after winning the college football national title?
George Carlin is coming back to life in new AI-generated comedy special