Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating -Prime Capital Blueprint
Burley Garcia|6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 18:20:03
A 6-year-old Virginia student took a gun to school Monday and Burley Garciainvestigators are trying to figure out how the child got ahold of the weapon, according to authorities.
The incident happened at Orange Elementary School, about 29 miles northeast of Charlottesville, the Orange County Sheriff's Office shared on Facebook Monday afternoon.
A school staff member contacted an Orange County Sheriff’s Office School Resource Officer at 12:50 p.m. that day about a loaded firearm found inside the school. The school was then placed in safe school mode, the sheriff’s office shared online.
The sheriff’s office said the firearm was found inside a backpack, so the school resource officer and a school administrator took the backpack.
Investigators announced later that afternoon that the 6-year-old student brought the firearm to school, where an instructional assistant found the gun.
No one was hurt, and no threats were made, the sheriff’s office said.
The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating but said no arrests have been made so far.
“The safety and security of our students and school staff remain our top priority,” the sheriff’s office said. “Out of an abundance of caution we will have additional law enforcement at the school for the remainder of today and tomorrow.”
School shooting investigation:911 calls from Georgia school shooting released
Superintendent says situation was handled in a ‘swift, professional’ manner
Superintendent of Orange County Public Schools Dan Hornick released a statement to community members online, calling the ordeal “distressing.”
“It is important to recognize and appreciate the swift, professional, and thorough steps taken by the staff members and administrators at Orange Elementary School,” Hornick wrote in his statement. “Their diligence prevented the situation from escalating.”
He also thanked the sheriff’s office for working with the school.
Later in his statement, Hornick said he wanted to note how the school system could grow in situations like this. According to the superintendent, the school went into Safe School Mode, where classrooms are secured, and law enforcement and school administrators investigate.
The goal during Safe School Mode and other school status changes is to let parents and guardians know what’s going on as soon as possible, Hornick said.
“Unfortunately, this type of notification was not sent to the OES community today,” he said, adding that he wanted to apologize for the “error.”
Similar situations have arisen throughout the country this past year, including a Sept. 4 shooting in Georgia where a student killed four at Apalachee High School.
Hornick, the superintendent of Orange County Public Schools, asked that “in light of recent events across our country … all parents and guardians exercise even greater diligence in ensuring that students do not bring weapons or other dangerous items to school.”
He added that he has two children attending schools in Orange County and said he plans to check his own children’s bags more frequently and talk to them more about school safety.
“By working together, we can provide the safe and dynamic learning environment our students deserve,” he said. “Thank you for your continued support, even under difficult circumstances.”
Contributing: Jeanine Santucci
Saleen Martin is a reporter on USA TODAY's NOW team. She is from Norfolk, Virginia – the 757. Follow her on Twitter at@SaleenMartin or email her at[email protected].
veryGood! (291)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- S.C. nurse who fatally poisoned husband with eye drops: I just wanted him to suffer
- As the pope heads to Portugal, he is laying the groundwork for the church’s future and his legacy
- California juvenile hall on lockdown after disturbance of youth assaulting staff
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- 1st stadium built for professional women's sports team going up in Kansas City
- 8-year-old survives cougar attack in Washington state national park
- Biden administration announces $345 million weapons package for Taiwan
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Judge blocks Arkansas law that would allow librarians to be charged for loaning obscene books to minors
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Teresa Giudice Calls Sofia Vergara Rudest Woman She's Ever Met
- 17-year-old American cyclist killed while training for mountain bike world championships
- YouTuber Who Spent $14,000 to Transform Into Dog Takes First Walk in Public
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Kentucky education commissioner leaving for job at Western Michigan University
- Lori Vallow Daybell sentencing live stream: Idaho woman facing prison for murders of her children
- Death toll rises to 54 after blast at Pakistan political gathering
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Extreme Rain From Atmospheric Rivers and Ice-Heating Micro-Cracks Are Ominous New Threats to the Greenland Ice Sheet
Inmate sues one of the nation’s largest private prison operators over his 2021 stabbing
'So horrendous': At least 30 dead dogs found at animal rescue that allegedly hoarded animals
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Cycling Star Magnus White Dead at 17 After Being Struck By Car During Bike Ride
Takeaways from AP’s reporting on inconsistencies in RFK Jr.'s record
Folwell lends his governor’s campaign $1 million; Stein, Robinson still on top with money