Current:Home > reviewsAfter months of intense hearings, final report on Lewiston mass shooting to be released -Prime Capital Blueprint
After months of intense hearings, final report on Lewiston mass shooting to be released
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 15:00:01
LEWISTON, Maine (AP) — After more than a dozen public meetings, scores of witnesses and thousands of pages of evidence, a special commission created to investigate the deadliest shooting in Maine history is ready to issue its final report on Tuesday.
The independent commission began its work a month after the Oct. 25 mass shooting by an Army reservist that killed 18 people at a bowling alley and a bar and grill in Lewiston. Over nine months, there has been emotional testimony from family members and survivors of the shooting, law enforcement officials and U.S. Army Reserves personnel, and others.
The commission created by Gov. Janet Mills will hold a news conference to release the full report at Lewiston City Hall — less than 3 miles from (5 kilometers) from the two sites where the shootings took place.
It’s unclear if the report will contain any surprises. An interim report released in March said law enforcement should have seized the shooter’s guns and put him in protective custody weeks before the shootings.
The commission’s public hearings revealed the swift response by police to the shootings, but also the ensuing chaos during the massive search for the gunman. Also revealed were missed opportunities to stop the shooter, 40-year-old Robert Card, an Army Reservist whose mental health was spiraling.
Card’s sister testified at a hearing, her hand resting on his military helmet as she spoke.
Kathleen Walker, whose husband Jason was killed while rushing at Card to try to stop him, also testified, and said: “The system failed, and we can’t allow this to happen again.”
Family members and fellow reservists said Card had exhibited delusional and paranoid behavior months before the shootings. He was hospitalized by the Army during training in July 2023, but a commanding officer acknowledged not checking to ensure compliance on follow-up care.
The starkest warning came in September when a fellow reservist texted an Army supervisor, saying, “I believe he’s going to snap and do a mass shooting.” Card was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a search that followed the shootings.
Army officials conducted their own investigation after the shootings that Lt. Gen. Jody Daniels, then the chief of the Army Reserves, said found “a series of failures by unit leadership.” Three Army Reserve officers were disciplined for dereliction of duty, according to the report, which noted communication failures within the chain of command and between military and civilian hospitals.
Maine’s legislature passed new guns laws for the state, which has a tradition of firearms ownership, in the wake of the shootings. A three-day waiting period for gun purchases went into effect earlier this month.
The Lewiston commission is chaired by Daniel Wathen, a former chief justice of Maine’s highest court. The seven-member commission also included two former federal prosecutors, two additional former judges, a psychiatrist and executive at a psychiatric hospital, and the state’s former chief forensic psychologist.
veryGood! (2385)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- At Colorado funeral home where 115 decaying bodies found, troubles went unnoticed by regulators
- All's 'Fair Play' in love and office promotions
- 17 Florida sheriff's office employees charged with COVID relief fraud: Feds
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- El Salvador is gradually filling its new mega prison with alleged gang members
- China’s inflation data show economy in doldrums despite a slight improvement in trade
- 2 women charged after operating unlicensed cosmetic surgery recovery house in Miami
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- AP PHOTOS: Surge in gang violence upends life in Ecuador
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Man charged with stealing ‘Wizard of Oz’ slippers from Minnesota museum expected to plead guilty
- Why Paige DeSorbo Has Her Own Bedroom at Boyfriend Craig Conover's House
- As Alabama Judge Orders a Takeover of a Failing Water System, Frustrated Residents Demand Federal Intervention
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- What is Friday the 13th? Why people may be superstitious about the day
- Parties running in Poland’s Sunday parliamentary election hold final campaign rallies
- All's 'Fair Play' in love and office promotions
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Mapping out the Israel-Hamas war
Unpublished works and manuscript by legendary Argentine writer Cortázar sell for $36,000 at auction
Oklahoma judge sent over 500 texts during murder trial, including messages mocking prosecutor, calling witness liar
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Here's Your First Look at Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell's Headline-Making Movie Anyone But You
Mother of missing Israeli-American says she believes he is a hostage in Gaza
Republican challenger uses forum to try to nationalize Kentucky governor’s race