Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Prince Harry challenges UK government’s decision to strip him of security detail when he moved to US -Prime Capital Blueprint
Fastexy:Prince Harry challenges UK government’s decision to strip him of security detail when he moved to US
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:21:38
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry is Fastexychallenging on Tuesday the British government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the United States.
The Duke of Sussex said he wants protection when he visits home and claimed it’s partly because an aggressive press jeopardizes his safety and that of his family.
The three-day hearing scheduled to begin in London’s High Court is the latest in a string of Harry’s legal cases that have kept London judges busy as he takes on the U.K. government and the British tabloid media. It was not clear if he would attend Tuesday’s hearing.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge earlier this year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
Harry, the youngest son of King Charles III, said he did not feel safe bringing his wife, former actor Meghan Markle, and their two young children back to Britain and was concerned about his own safety after being chased by paparazzi following a London charity event.
Harry’s animosity toward the press dates back to the death of his mother Princess Diana, who died in a car wreck as her driver tried to outrun aggressive photographers in Paris. Harry, whose wife is mixed-raced, cited what he said were racist attitudes and unbearable intrusions of the British media in his decision to leave the United Kingdom.
The 39-year-old prince is challenging the decision by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures to provide his security on a “case by case” basis after moving in 2020 to Canada and then California, where he and his family now reside.
He said the committee unfairly nixed his security request without hearing from him personally and did not disclose the makeup of the panel, which he later learned included royal family staff. He said Edward Young, the assistant private secretary to the late Queen Elizabeth II, should not have been on the committee because of “significant tensions” between the two men.
The Home Office has argued that any tensions between Harry and the royal household staff was irrelevant and that the committee was entitled to its decision because he had relinquished his role as a working member of the family.
The case is one of five that Harry has pending in the High Court.
The four other lawsuits involve Britain’s best-known tabloids, including a case that alleges the publisher of the Daily Mail libeled him when it ran a story suggesting he had tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. A ruling is expected in that case Friday.
Three other lawsuits allege that journalists at the Mail, the Daily Mirror, and The Sun used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators to dig up dirt about him.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Artist, actor and restaurateur Mr. Chow on his driving creative force: 'To be true'
- Sean Diddy Combs Denies Cassie's Allegations of Rape and Abuse
- 2025 Toyota Camry: The car is going hybrid for the first time. What will be different?
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- An eco trio, a surprising flautist and a very weird bird: It's the weekly news quiz
- Texas A&M football needs to realize there are some things money can't buy
- China’s Xi is courting Indo-Pacific leaders in a flurry of talks at a summit in San Francisco
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- AP Week in Pictures: Global | Nov. 10 - Nov. 16, 2023
- U.K. Supreme Court rules government's plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda is unlawful
- Argentina vs. Uruguay: How much will Lionel Messi play in World Cup qualifying match?
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Violent protests break out ahead of Bulgaria-Hungary soccer qualifier
- Could America’s giant panda exodus be reversed? The Chinese president’s comments spark optimism
- Suspect in custody after a person was shot and killed outside court in Colorado Springs, police say
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
General Motors becomes 1st of Detroit automakers to seal deal with UAW members
You Only Have 72 Hours to Shop Kate Spade’s Epic 70% Off Deals
Kansas quarterback Jalon Daniels is likely out for season but plans return in 2024
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
How Tom Blyth and Rachel Zegler tell 'Hunger Games' origin tale without Katniss Everdeen
Man who attacked Pelosi’s husband convicted of federal assault and attempted kidnapping charges
90 Day Fiancé’s Darcey Silva Marries Georgi Rusev in Private Ceremony