Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Kenyan Facebook moderators accuse Meta of not negotiating sincerely -Prime Capital Blueprint
Burley Garcia|Kenyan Facebook moderators accuse Meta of not negotiating sincerely
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:33:53
NAIROBI,Burley Garcia Kenya (AP) — The lawyer representing 184 former Facebook content moderators based in Kenya who sued the site’s parent company, Meta, over working conditions and pay told the judge Monday that Meta has not been sincere in trying to reach an out-of-court settlement as agreed in the last court session.
Lawyer Mercy Mutemi said the talks had collapsed and the former moderators want to proceed with a contempt of court case against Meta.
“The petitioners gave it their best effort. They attended every mediation. The respondents asked for information which we gave them. They kept saying they would get back to us by a certain date but only got back to us at the end of last week with a very small amount that cannot even take care of the petitioners’ mental health,” she told the court. She described Meta as “not genuine.”
The moderators were employed via Sama, a San Francisco subcontractor that describes itself as an ethical AI company, to work in its hub in the capital, Nairobi. Their job entailed screening user content in 12 African languages and removing any uploads deemed to breach Facebook’s community standards and terms of service.
Some of the petitioners have told The Associated Press that their job required them to watch horrific content for eight hours a day that overwhelmed many of them while being paid 60,000 Kenyan shillings, or $414 a month. They accused Sama of doing little to ensure post-traumatic professional counseling was offered. They are seeking $1.6 billion in compensation.
Meta and Sama lawyers told the court they thought the mediation was making good progress, with long hours involved, until the moderators’ lawyer wrote to them in protest.
Justice Nduma Nderi said the failed talks were a “missed opportunity” to find a balance between the parties involved as opposed to the court issuing an order.
The parties will now appear at a hearing on Oct. 31 on the moderators’ application to find Meta and Sama in contempt of court.
The lawsuit is the first known court challenge of its kind against Facebook outside the United States. In 2020, Facebook agreed to pay $52 million to U.S. content moderators who filed a class action lawsuit after they were repeatedly exposed to beheadings, child and sexual abuse, animal cruelty, terrorism and other disturbing content.
Facebook and Sama have defended their employment practices.
veryGood! (8728)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Drought affecting Panama Canal threatens 40% of world's cargo ship traffic
- Man who disappeared during the 2021 Texas freeze found buried in his backyard
- Nvidia’s rising star gets even brighter with another stellar quarter propelled by sales of AI chips
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Workers in Disney World district criticize DeSantis appointees’ decision to eliminate free passes
- Ambulance dispatcher dies after being shot in parking lot over weekend; estranged husband in custody
- 16 dead, 36 injured after bus carrying Venezuelan migrants crashes in Mexico
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Surprisingly durable US economy poses key question: Are we facing higher-for-longer interest rates?
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Supporters of silenced Montana lawmaker Zooey Zephyr won’t face trespassing charges
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s Body Double Says She Developed Eating Disorder After Shallow Hal Movie Release
- Nantucket billionaire sues clam shack 18 inches from residence
- Trump's 'stop
- Lawsuit settled over widespread abuse of former students at shuttered West Virginia boarding school
- A new Illinois law wants to ensure child influencers get a share of their earnings
- Sofia Coppola Reacts to 16-Year-Old Daughter Romy’s Viral TikTok About Being Grounded
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
UPS workers ratify new five-year contract, eliminating strike risk
Racing to save a New Jersey house where a Revolutionary War patriot was murdered
Tom Sandoval Seeks Punishment for Raquel Leviss Affair in Brutal Special Forces Trailer
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Lack of DNA samples hinders effort to identify Maui wildfire victims as over 1,000 remain missing
Burning Man gates open for worker access after delays from former Hurricane Hilary
Causeway: Part stock fund + part donor-advised fund = A new bid for young donors