Current:Home > Invest11-year-old accused of swatting, calling in 20-plus bomb threats to Florida schools -Prime Capital Blueprint
11-year-old accused of swatting, calling in 20-plus bomb threats to Florida schools
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:17:42
An 11-year-old Virginia boy has been arrested and charged with making more than 20 bomb or shooting threats to a series of Florida schools.
Flagler County Sherriff’s Department officials said the arrest followed a 10-week investigation into the threats, which were made over a 9-day period in May.
“This kid’s behavior was escalating and becoming more dangerous. I’m glad we got him before he escalated out of control and hurt someone,” Flagler County Sherriff Rick Staly said in a statement on July 25.
According to officials, Flagler County emergency services received a bomb threat on May 14 directed towards Buddy Taylor Middle School. Over the next nine days, 20 more calls were made towards Buddy Taylor and four other Flagler County schools — First Baptist Christian Academy, Flagler Palm Coast High School, Old Kings Elementary School, and Suncoast Community School. The calls referenced bombs had been planted, threatened to commit mass shootings, and claimed to have shot students and teachers at the schools.
What is swatting?Why politicians are being targeted by the potentially deadly stunt.
Law enforcement officials tracked the calls to a home in Virginia, where the 11-year-old admitted to placing the “swatting type calls” to Florida, as well as a similar threat made to the Maryland State House. The child told police that he “used methods he had learned online” to try and hide his identity and that he had devised the script for the calls alone.
The child faces 28 felony and 14 misdemeanor charges and is currently being held in a juvenile detention facility in Virginia while transportation to Florida is arranged.
Swatting
“Swatting” is the practice of making phony calls with threats of violence such as a bomb, a hostage situation, or a shooting to trigger a law enforcement response. The targets of these calls have ranged from schools and businesses to politicians as well as individuals.
According to the Educator’s Safety Network, a false report of an active shooter accounted for 64% of all reported violent incidents in American schools during the 2022-2023 school year. That organization also reported that false reports have increased 546% from the 2018-2019 school year, with 446 incidents being reported.
Flagler County officials noted that the 11-year-old was the second child to be arrested for making threats towards local schools this year.
A 13-year-old was arrested by the Daytona Beach Police Department and Volusia County Sherriff’s Office in May for calling the front desk of Buddy Taylor Middle School and making a bomb threat in what was described by law enforcement officials as a copycat incident.
Max Hauptman is a Trending Reporter for USA TODAY. He can be reached at [email protected]
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- 'I'm gonna kill your children': South Florida man threatened U.S. Rep. and his family
- Make Life Easier With $3 Stanley Tumbler Accessories— Spill Stoppers, Snack Trays, Carrying Cases & More
- The Book Report: Ron Charles' favorite novels of 2023
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Nordstrom Quietly Put Tons of SKIMS Styles on Sale Up to 50% Off— Here's What I’m Shopping
- NCAA agrees to $920 million, 8-year deal with ESPN for women’s March Madness, 39 other championships
- Teen kills 6th grader, wounds 5 others and takes own life in Iowa high school shooting, police say
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Navajo Nation charges 2 tribal members with illegally growing marijuana as part of complex case
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Ailing, 53-year-old female elephant euthanized at Los Angeles Zoo
- SpaceX accused of unlawfully firing employees who were critical of Elon Musk
- Benny Safdie confirms Safdie brothers split, calls change with brother Josh 'natural progression'
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- New year, new clothes: expert advice to how to start a gentleman's wardrobe
- Trump's businesses got at least $7.8 million in foreign payments while he was president, House Democrats say
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
Recommendation
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Taco Bell's new box meals make it easy to cook a crunchwrap or quesadilla at home
How many national championships has Michigan won? Wolverines title history explained
'Bright as it was in 2020' Glowing bioluminescence waves return to Southern California beaches
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Body found in freezer at San Diego home may have been woman missing for years, police say
Nevada GOP congressional candidate leaves tight US House race to defend her state Assembly seat
Feeling caucus confusion? Your guide to how Iowa works