Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Judge blocks Arkansas's ban on gender-affirming care for transgender youth -Prime Capital Blueprint
Oliver James Montgomery-Judge blocks Arkansas's ban on gender-affirming care for transgender youth
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 21:46:53
A federal judge struck down Arkansas' first-in-the-nation ban on Oliver James Montgomerygender-affirming care for children as unconstitutional Tuesday, the first ruling to overturn such a prohibition as a growing number of Republican-led states adopt similar restrictions.
U.S. District Judge Jay Moody issued a permanent injunction against the Arkansas law, which would have prohibited doctors from providing gender-affirming hormone treatment, puberty blockers or surgery to anyone under 18.
Arkansas' law, which Moody temporarily blocked in 2021, also would have prohibited doctors from referring patients elsewhere for such care.
In his order, Moody ruled that the prohibition violated the due process and equal protection rights of transgender youth and families. He said the law also violated the First Amendment rights of medical providers by prohibiting them from referring patients elsewhere.
"Rather than protecting children or safeguarding medical ethics, the evidence showed that the prohibited medical care improves the mental health and well-being of patients and that, by prohibiting it, the state undermined the interests it claims to be advancing," Moody wrote in his ruling.
Republican lawmakers in Arkansas enacted the ban in 2021, overriding a veto by former GOP Gov. Asa Hutchinson. Hutchinson, who left office in January, said the law went too far by cutting off treatments for children currently receiving such care.
The ruling affects only the Arkansas ban but may carry implications for the fates of similar prohibitions, or discourage attempts to enact them, in other states.
"This decision sends a clear message. Fear-mongering and misinformation about this health care do not hold up to scrutiny; it hurts trans youth and must end," said Holly Dickson, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas. "Science, medicine, and law are clear: gender-affirming care is necessary to ensure these young Arkansans can thrive and be healthy."
The ACLU challenged the law on behalf of four transgender youth and their families and two doctors.
View this post on InstagramA post shared by Chase Strangio (@chasestrangio)
At least 19 other states have enacted laws restricting or banning gender-affirming care for minors following Arkansas' law, and federal judges have temporarily blocked similar bans in Alabama and Indiana. Three states have banned or restricted the care through regulations or administrative orders.
Florida's law goes beyond banning the treatments for youth, by also prohibiting the use of state money for gender-affirming care and placing new restrictions on adults seeking treatment. A federal judge has blocked Florida from enforcing its ban on three children who have challenged the law.
Children's hospitals around the country have faced harassment and threats of violence for providing such care.
The state has argued that the prohibition is within its authority to regulate the medical profession. People opposed to such treatments for children argue they are too young to make such decisions about their futures. Major medical groups, including the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics, oppose the bans and experts say treatments are safe if properly administered.
The state is likely to appeal Moody's decision to the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which last year upheld the judge's temporary order blocking the law.
In March, Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Hutchinson's successor, signed legislation attempting to effectively reinstate Arkansas' ban by making it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children. That law doesn't take effect until later this summer.
A roughly two-week trial before Moody included testimony from one of the transgender youths challenging the state's ban. Dylan Brandt, 17, testified in October that the hormone therapy he has received has transformed his life and that the ban would force him to leave the state.
"I'm so grateful the judge heard my experience of how this health care has changed my life for the better and saw the dangerous impact this law could have on my life and that of countless other transgender people," Brandt said in a statement released by the ACLU. "My mom and I wanted to fight this law not just to protect my health care, but also to ensure that transgender people like me can safely and fully live our truths."
- In:
- Transgender
- Arkansas
veryGood! (72)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Beyoncé sends flowers to White Stripes' Jack White for inspiring her on 'Cowboy Carter'
- Rangers-Devils game starts with wild line brawl, eight ejections and a Matt Rempe fight
- Elizabeth Hurley says she 'felt comfortable' filming sex scene directed by son Damian Hurley
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- In swing-state Wisconsin, Democrat hustles to keep key Senate seat against Trump-backed millionaire
- Horoscopes Today, April 3, 2024
- Police say use of racial slur clearly audible as they investigate racist incidents toward Utah team
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Everything you need to know about how to watch and live stream the 2024 Masters
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Earthquake in Taiwan blamed for at least 9 deaths as buildings and roads seriously damaged
- Largest fresh egg producer in U.S. finds bird flu in chickens at Texas and Michigan plants
- Hillary Clinton, Malala Yousafzai on producing Broadway musical Suffs
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Panama and Colombia fail to protect migrants on Darien jungle route, Human Rights Watch says
- Elizabeth Hurley says she 'felt comfortable' filming sex scene directed by son Damian Hurley
- The Nail Salon Is Expensive: These Press-On Nails Cost Less Than a Manicure
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Sarah Paulson Shares Her Take on the Nepo Baby Debate
Did Texas 'go too far' with SB4 border bill? Appeals court weighs case; injunction holds.
Watch: Authorities rescue injured dog stuck on railroad tracks after it was hit by train
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Caitlin Clark wins second straight national player of the year award
GOP suffers big setback in effort to make winning potentially critical Nebraska electoral vote more likely
Athletics announce plans to play the next 3 seasons in minor league park near Sacramento