Current:Home > NewsPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Massachusetts secures $1 billion in federal funds to help replace Cape Cod bridges -Prime Capital Blueprint
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Massachusetts secures $1 billion in federal funds to help replace Cape Cod bridges
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:02:15
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts is PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Centermaking headway on putting together the funding needed to replace two aging bridges that connect Cape Cod to the rest of the state.
Gov. Maura Healey announced Friday that the Massachusetts Department of Transportation and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have secured nearly $1 billion in additional federal dollars for the construction of the replacement spans over the Cape Cod Canal. The funding was included in a bipartisan bridge investment program.
The additional $1 billion brings the total amount of federal funding secured for the project to nearly $1.72 billion, in addition to the $700 million in state funding pledged by the Healey administration.
The full cost to replace both bridges is estimated at around $4.5 billion.
“This is a game-changing award for Massachusetts. We’ve never been closer to rebuilding the Cape Cod Bridges than we are right now. This funding will be critical for getting shovels in the ground,” Healey said.
Cape Cod and the islands — Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket — are home to 263,000 permanent residents and are popular tourist destinations with five million annual visitors.
The Army Corps of Engineers currently owns and maintains the bridges, which officials say are structurally deficient, functionally obsolete, and nearing the end of their usable life. The corps has warned that if the spans aren’t replaced within the next several years, one of them would have to be completely closed for 18 months for maintenance.
Plans are to focus first on replacing the Sagamore Bridge before turning to the Bourne. After the project is finished, the state department of transportation will own, maintain and operate the completed bridges.
Construction on both began in 1933.
An estimated 9,000 construction jobs will be created by the replacement project.
Last year, the state won $372 million for the bridge replacement project from the Federal Multimodal Project Discretionary Grant program. The state also secured another $350 million in the Fiscal Year 2024 Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act.
Healey said her administration is continuing to pursue federal dollars to help pay for additional phases of the bridge project including the Bourne Bridge replacement.
Democratic U.S. Rep. Bill Keating, whose district includes Cape Cod, said the latest federal grant is culmination of more than a decade of work.
“The new Sagamore Bridge will be more than just a connection between two sides of the canal, it is a lifeline for the quarter of a million people who live on Cape Cod and the economic driver that brings workers and tourists back and forth every day,” Keating said.
Of the two bridges, the Sagamore has more traffic and accounts for about 56% of crashes on the bridges. A new Sagamore Bridge will have wider lanes, rapid bus transit and bicycle and pedestrian access.
The new Bourne Bridge will also include a shared path for bicyclists and pedestrians.
veryGood! (1821)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Man charged with stealing small airplane that crashed on a California beach
- The $11 Item Chopped Winner Chef Steve Benjamin Has Used Since Culinary School
- Haley's loss to none of these candidates in Nevada primary was coordinated effort
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Pamela Anderson Addresses If Her Viral Makeup-Free Moment Was a PR Move
- NYC vigilantes 'Guardian Angels' tackle New Yorker on live TV, misidentify him as migrant
- What if the government abolished your 401(k)? Economists say accounts aren't worth it
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- DJ Tiësto Pulls Out of Super Bowl 2024 Due to Family Emergency
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Joe Flacco beats out Damar Hamlin in NFL Comeback Player of the Year surprise
- Paul Giamatti says Cher 'really needs to talk to' him, doesn't know why: 'It's killing me'
- Spencer Dinwiddie leads top NBA potential buyout candidates
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Kobe Bryant immortalized with a 19-foot bronze statue outside the Lakers’ downtown arena
- Everything You Need for that Coastal Cool Home Aesthetic We All Can’t Get Enough of
- Research at the heart of a federal case against the abortion pill has been retracted
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
TikToker Cat Janice Shares “Last Joy” With 7-Year-Old Son Amid Her Rare Sarcoma Cancer Battle
Storms dump heavy snowfall in northern Arizona after leaving California a muddy mess
'Days of Our Lives' star Arianne Zucker sues producers over sexual harassment
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
5 missing Marines found dead after helicopter crash in California, officials say
Sewage Across Borders: The Tijuana River Is Spewing Wastewater Into San Diego Amid Historic Storms, Which Could Threaten Public Health
Former Nickelodeon Stars to Detail Alleged Abuse in Quiet on Set Docuseries