Current:Home > reviewsTitanic Submersible Passengers’ Harrowing “All Good Here” Text Revealed -Prime Capital Blueprint
Titanic Submersible Passengers’ Harrowing “All Good Here” Text Revealed
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 15:37:41
A new detail has been revealed from the Titan submersible’s tragic June 2023 implosion.
During a Sept. 16 U.S. Coast Guard investigatory hearing, regarding the cause of the implosion, the U.S. Coast Guard presented an animation of the events that unfolded just before the Titan disappeared, including text messages exchanged between the Titan’s passengers and its support ship, the Polar Prince.
According to the animation, one of the final messages sent by the submersible in response to whether the crew could still see the Polar Prince on its onboard display was, per the Associated Press, “all good here.”
On June 18, 2023, the Titan set off to the wreckage of the RMS Titanic—which tragically sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in April 1912—when it lost signal. Two days later, the Coast Guard confirmed that the then-missed submersible imploded, killing all of the passengers on board including OceanGate cofounder Stockton Rush, Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet.
The hearing, which began Sept. 15, is being held to investigate what led to the watercraft’s implosion, and will comb through details including “mechanical considerations as well as compliance with regulations and crew member qualifications,” the Coast Guard told the Associated Press.
OceanGate’s engineering director Tony Nissen testified as the first witness. Asked whether he felt rushed to start operations on the Titan with, he responded, “100 percent.”
Still, Nissen denied that the rush he felt compromised any safety measures taken in completing the Titan.
“That’s a difficult question to answer,” he said, “because given infinite time and infinite budget, you could do infinite testing.”
He noted the submersible was struck by lightning in 2018, which led him to worry that its hull had been compromised. He explained that founder Stockton—who he called “could be difficult” to work with—refused to take the incident seriously.
Although Nissen said he was fired in 2019 for refusing to approve an expedition to the Titanic because he deemed the hull unsafe, he said during the hearing per the New York Times, he claimed OceanGate later said the mission was canceled due to issues with the support ship.
“It wasn’t true,” Nissen explained at the hearing. “We didn’t have a hull.”
Without Nissen on its operations staff, the submersible went on its first voyage in 2021 and continued to make trips until the 2023 implosion. However, investigators believe, per the New York Times, that the hull was never pressure tested up to industry standards.
OceanGate suspended operations shortly after the submersible imploded and the company currently has no full-time employees. The company will be represented by an attorney during the hearing, they told Associated Press in a statement, adding that they continue to cooperate with the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Transportation Safety Board.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (17)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- From Illinois to Utah: July 4th firework mishaps claimed lives and injured dozens
- Who won Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Hot Dog Eating Contest 2024? Meet the victors.
- Powerball winning numbers for July 3: Jackpot rises to $138 million
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- 2 inmates escape from a Mississippi jail while waiting for murder trials
- The average American feels they need to earn over $180K to live comfortably, survey shows
- From Illinois to Utah: July 4th firework mishaps claimed lives and injured dozens
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Simone Biles Says Not Everyone Needs a Mic Amid MyKayla Skinner Controversy
Ranking
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- How a unique Topeka program is welcoming immigrants and helping them thrive
- Martha Stewart posted photos of her beige living room, and commenters took it personally
- Pink's undisclosed health issue and the need for medical privacy
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- From Illinois to Utah: July 4th firework mishaps claimed lives and injured dozens
- Hailey Welch, aka the 'Hawk Tuah girl,' learns firsthand what it means to go viral
- Arizona man pleads guilty to murder in wife’s death less than a week after reporting her missing
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
Crews battle southern New Jersey forest fire that has burned hundreds of acres
The U.S. celebrates July 4, but independence from Britain is marked around the globe. Here's a look at how and when different countries celebrate.
Golden State Warriors land guard Buddy Hield from 76ers after Klay Thompson's exit
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Feeling strange about celebrating July 4th amid Biden-Trump chaos? You’re not alone.
Feeling strange about celebrating July 4th amid Biden-Trump chaos? You’re not alone.
Mindy Kaling's Sweet Selfie With Baby Anne Will Warm Your Heart