Current:Home > MarketsEx-Ohio vice detective pleads guilty to charge he kidnapped sex workers -Prime Capital Blueprint
Ex-Ohio vice detective pleads guilty to charge he kidnapped sex workers
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-05 23:54:46
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A former Ohio vice detective pleaded guilty to federal accusations Thursday that he kidnapped sex worker victims under the guise of an arrest, according to federal prosecutors.
Andrew Mitchell, 59, of Sunbury, pleaded guilty to two counts of depriving individuals of their civil rights while acting under color of law and one count of obstructing justice, according to the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio.
Mitchell spent more than 30 years with the Columbus Division of Police and was assigned to the vice union for the final two years of his employment, which ended in 2019, prosecutors said.
While working as a detective in July 2017, Mitchell wore plain clothes and drove an unmarked car when he handcuffed a sex worker to his vehicle, then drove to a parking lot and detained the woman against her will after identifying himself as an officer, prosecutors said. Two months later, while again working as a plainclothes detective, he questioned a sex worker about rates before he said he was an officer and then kidnapped her, prosecutors said.
Mitchell was acquitted earlier this year of murder and manslaughter charges stemming from the death of a woman he shot while he was working undercover.
He was indicted after shooting and killing Donna Castleberry, 23, as she sat in his unmarked police vehicle in August 2018.
He said he acted in self-defense after she stabbed him in the hand during an undercover prostitution investigation. The jury in that trial reached its verdict after deliberating for about five hours.
veryGood! (68)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Emperor penguins will receive endangered species protections
- Allow Ariana Grande to Bewitch You With This Glimpse Inside the Wicked Movie
- The Fight To Keep Climate Change Off The Back Burner
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- We're Obsessed With the Mermaidcore Aesthetic for Summer: 17 Wearable Pieces to Take on the Trend
- Whether gas prices are up or down, don't blame or thank the president
- Proof Jessica Biel’s Stylish Throwback Photos Are Tearin’ Up Justin Timberlake’s Heart
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Love Is Blind’s Kwame Addresses Claim His Sister Is Paid Actress
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- The carbon coin: A novel idea
- The Keystone pipeline leaked in Kansas. What makes this spill so bad?
- 20 Must-Have Amazon Products For People Who Are Always Spilling Things
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Here's what happened on day 4 of the U.N.'s COP27 climate talks
- Wedding Guest Dresses From Dress The Population That Are So Cute, They’ll Make the Bride Mad
- When the creek does rise, can music survive?
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
California braces for flooding from intense storms rolling across the state
War fallout and aid demands are overshadowing the climate talks in Egypt
Woody Harrelson Weighs In on If He and Matthew McConaughey Are Really Brothers
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
At least 50 are dead and dozens feared missing as storm hits the Philippines
Recycling plastic is practically impossible — and the problem is getting worse
Battered by Hurricane Fiona, this is what a blackout looks like across Puerto Rico