Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:U.S. troops leaving Niger bases this weekend and in August after coup, officials say -Prime Capital Blueprint
Poinbank:U.S. troops leaving Niger bases this weekend and in August after coup, officials say
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:10:01
The PoinbankU.S. will remove all its forces and equipment from a small base in Niger this weekend and fewer than 500 remaining troops will leave a critical drone base in the West African country in August, ahead of a Sept. 15 deadline set in an agreement with the new ruling junta, the American commander there said Friday.
Air Force Maj. Gen. Kenneth Ekman said in an interview that a number of small teams of 10-20 U.S. troops, including special operations forces, have moved to other countries in West Africa. But the bulk of the forces will go, at least initially, to Europe.
Niger's ouster of American troops following a coup last year has broad ramifications for the U.S. because it is forcing troops to abandon the critical drone base that was used for counterterrorism missions in the Sahel.
Ekman and other U.S. military leaders have said other West African nations want to work with the U.S. and may be open to an expanded American presence. He did not detail the locations, but other U.S. officials have pointed to the Ivory Coast and Ghana as examples.
Ekman, who serves as the director for strategy at U.S. Africa Command, is leading the U.S. military withdrawal from the small base at the airport in Niger's capital of Niamey and from the larger counterterrorism base in the city of Agadez. He said there will be a ceremony Sunday marking the completed pullout from the airport base, then those final 100 troops and the last C-17 transport aircraft will depart.
Speaking to reporters from The Associated Press and Reuters from the U.S. embassy in Niamey, Ekman said that while portable buildings and vehicles that are no longer useful will be left behind, a lot of larger equipment will be pulled out. For example, he said 18 4,000-pound (1,800-kilograms) generators worth more than $1 million each will be taken out of Agadez.
Unlike the withdrawal from Afghanistan, he said the U.S. is not destroying equipment or facilities as it leaves.
"Our goal in the execution is, leave things in as good a state as possible," he said. "If we went out and left it a wreck or we went out spitefully, or if we destroyed things as we went, we'd be foreclosing options" for future security relations.
Niger's ruling junta ordered U.S. forces out of the country in the wake of last July's ouster of the country's democratically elected president by mutinous soldiers. French forces had also been asked to leave as the junta turned to the Russian mercenary group Wagner for security assistance.
Washington officially designated the military takeover as a coup in October, triggering U.S. laws restricting the military support and aid.
- In:
- Niger
- Africa
- United States Military
veryGood! (27)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Spike Lee’s 1st trip, Michael Jordan’s welcome to newcomers and more from basketball Hall of Fame
- 1 dead, 9 injured after shooting near Tennessee State University, authorities say
- Climate Disasters Only Slightly Shift the Political Needle
- Small twin
- Florida power outage map: More than 400,000 still in the dark in Hurricane Milton aftermath
- Demi Moore Shares Update on Bruce Willis Amid Battle With Dementia
- SpaceX launches its mega Starship rocket. This time, mechanical arms will try to catch it at landing
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Sold! What did Sammy Hagar's custom Ferrari LaFerrari sell for at Arizona auction?
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Forget the hot takes: MLB's new playoff system is working out just fine
- The Bloody Reason Matthew McConaughey Had to Redo Appearance With Jimmy Fallon
- Pilot killed and passenger injured as small plane crashes in Georgia neighborhood
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Trial set to begin for suspect in the 2017 killings of 2 teen girls in Indiana
- Urban Outfitters Apologizes for High Prices and Lowers Costs on 100 Styles
- Jamie Foxx Shares Emotional Photos From His Return to the Stage After Health Scare
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Sean 'Diddy' Combs accuser says 'clout chasing' is why her lawyers withdrew from case
New York Liberty stars put on a show for college coaches in Game 2 of WNBA Finals
Oregon's defeat of Ohio State headlines college football Week 7 winners and losers
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Chiefs' Harrison Butker Says It’s “Beautiful” for Women to Prioritize Family Over Career After Backlash
How child care costs became the 'kitchen table issue' for parents this election season
Teddi Mellencamp Details the Toughest Part of Her Melanoma Battle: You Have Very Dark Moments