Current:Home > FinanceVince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive' -Prime Capital Blueprint
Vince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive'
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 19:14:01
Former WWE CEO Vince McMahon slammed the upcoming Netflix docuseries "Mr. McMahon," calling it a "misleading" and "deceptive" depiction of him.
The founder of WWE said in a statement on Monday he didn't regret participating in the Netflix documentary set to be released this week. The six-part series chronicles McMahon's rise to power and the controversies that surrounded him. A trailer for the series hints at the lawsuit brought on by a former WWE employee that accuses McMahon of abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking.
McMahon said the producers had the chance "to tell an objective story about my life and the incredible business I built, which were equally filled with excitement, drama, fun, and a fair amount of controversy and life lessons."
"Unfortunately, based on an early partial cut I’ve seen, this doc falls short and takes the predictable path of conflating the "Mr. McMahon" character with my true self, Vince. The title and promos alone make that evident," he said. "A lot has been misrepresented or left out entirely in an effort to leave viewers intentionally confused. The producers use typical editing tricks with out of context footage and dated soundbites etc. to distort the viewers’ perception and support a deceptive narrative.
"In an attempt to further their misleading account, the producers use a lawsuit based on an affair I ended as evidence that I am, in fact, 'Mr. McMahon.' I hope the viewer will keep an open mind and remember that there are two sides to every story.”
According to Netflix, the series "delves into the mogul's controversial reign" during WWE, which ended this year when he resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, the parent company of WWE. His resignation came just after former WWE employee Janel Grant said she was put through sexual acts by McMahon that were done with "extreme cruelty and degradation." Grant alleged McMahon made her sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship for an agreed amount of $3 million, but she didn't receive full payment from McMahon and wants to void the agreement with the lawsuit. Currently, the the U.S. Department of Justice is conducting its own investigation into McMahon.
Attorney responds to Vince McMahon statement
Grant was not interviewed for the docuseries, her lawyers said last week. After McMahon released his statement, Ann Callis, an attorney for Grant, told TODAY Sports in a statement that calling "his horrific and criminal behavior 'an affair' is delusional and nothing more than a sad attempt to save his shredded reputation."
"Vince McMahon physically and emotionally abused, sexually assaulted and human trafficked Janel Grant for more than two years," Callis said. "Although Ms. Grant has not seen the “Mr. McMahon” docuseries, we hope it shines a bright light on his abhorrent and criminal actions by accurately portraying the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior.
“Ms. Grant will no longer be silenced by McMahon. Her story, though deeply troubling and exceptionally painful, is one that can help other abuse survivors find their voices. We seek to hold McMahon, John Laurinaitis and WWE accountable and to give Ms. Grant her day in court," Callis added.
"Mr. McMahon" will be available to stream on Wednesday.
veryGood! (3616)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- TikTok creators warn of economic impact if app sees ban, call it a vital space for the marginalized
- Utah governor replaces social media laws for youth as state faces lawsuits
- Meteorologists say this year’s warm winter provided key ingredient for Midwest killer tornadoes
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- WWE WrestleMania 40 match card: 10 matches, what to know three weeks ahead of event
- Colorado man bitten by pet Gila monster died of complications from the desert lizard’s venom
- Paul Simon, graceful poet and musical genius, gets his documentary due 'In Restless Dreams'
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- America's Irish heritage: These states have the largest populations from the Emerald Isle
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- State Medicaid offices target dead people’s homes to recoup their health care costs
- Judge delays Trump’s hush-money criminal trial until mid-April, citing last-minute evidence dump
- Kim Kardashian Appears to Joke About Finding Kate Middleton Amid Photo Controversy
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- A Gas Tanker Crashed in Birmingham and Spilled 2,100 Gallons Into Nearby Village Creek. Who Is Responsible?
- Teen gets 40 years in prison for Denver house fire that killed 5 from Senegal
- David Breashears, mountaineer and filmmaker who co-produced Mount Everest documentary, dies at 68
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Kim Kardashian Appears to Joke About Finding Kate Middleton Amid Photo Controversy
St. Patrick's Day 2024 parades livestream: Watch celebrations around the US
Authorities order residents to shelter in place after shootings in suburban Philadelphia township
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Utah governor replaces social media laws for youth as state faces lawsuits
Northwest Indiana sheriff says 3 men dead after being shot
In close primary race, trailing North Carolina legislator files election protests