Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-Prince Harry and Meghan keep decision on attending King Charles III's coronation to themselves -Prime Capital Blueprint
Charles H. Sloan-Prince Harry and Meghan keep decision on attending King Charles III's coronation to themselves
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 18:53:10
London — Prince Harry and Charles H. SloanMeghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who live in California, say they have been emailed about the upcoming coronation ceremony for Harry's father King Charles III, but have not confirmed whether they plan to attend. Buckingham palace has begun sending out emails about the coronation in phases, and formal invitations will go out closer to the event, which takes place on May 6.
"I can confirm the Duke has recently received email correspondence from His Majesty's office regarding the coronation," a spokesperson for Harry and Meghan told CBS News. "An immediate decision on whether the Duke and Duchess will attend will not be disclosed by us at this time."
- Controversial crown won't be worn at King Charles' coronation
Many public figures and foreign dignitaries are expected to attend Charles' coronation, which will be held at Westminster Abbey. The coronation is a religious ceremony steeped in hundreds of years of tradition, but it is largely symbolic — Charles became Britain's monarch immediately upon the death of his mother Queen Elizabeth II in September.
If Prince Harry does attend, it's unclear what role he might play in the ceremony, as he is no longer a "working" member of the royal family.
During Queen Elizabeth Platinum Jubilee celebrations, Harry and Meghan did not appear on the balcony of Buckingham Palace alongside other senior members of the family. Similar ceremonial appearances are expected during the coronation.
Speculation about whether Harry and or Meghan will attend the coronation ramped up shortly after news broke that the couple had been asked to vacate their U.K. residence on the grounds of Windsor Castle, Frogmore Cottage.
Harry and Meghan were given the cottage by the late queen, Harry's grandmother, and spent more than $2 million renovating it. According to British tabloid The Sun, the pair, who live full-time in California, were asked to remove their belongings shortly after the publication of Harry's tell-all memoir, "Spare."
- In:
- King Charles III
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (473)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Americans are demanding more: Desired salary for new jobs now nearly $79,000
- Correctional officer at St. Louis jail freed after being held hostage by inmates
- Tropical Storm Harold path: When and where it's forecasted to hit Texas
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Atlanta-based Morris Brown College says they are reinstating Covid mask mandates
- Hawaii officials urge families of people missing after deadly fires to give DNA samples
- Horoscopes Today, August 22, 2023
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Windows are shattered in a Moscow suburb as Russia says it thwarts latest Ukraine drone attack
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Correctional officer at St. Louis jail freed after being held hostage by inmates
- Huntsville City Council member pleads guilty in shoplifting case; banned from Walmart
- Proof Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott's Daughter Stormi Is Ready for Kids Baking Championship
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- 'Get out of my house': Video shows mother of Kansas newspaper publisher confronting cops
- Washington Commanders end Baltimore Ravens' preseason win streak at 24 games
- New president of Ohio State will be Walter ‘Ted’ Carter Jr., a higher education and military leader
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
4 firefighters suffer heat exhaustion at fire at vacant southern Michigan factory
Burger King gave candy to a worker who never called in sick. The internet gave $400k
When does 'American Horror Story: Delicate' come out? Everything you need to know.
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Ecuadorians head to the polls just weeks after presidential candidate assassinated
As oil activities encroach on sacred natural sites, a small Ugandan community feels besieged
Conference realignment will leave Pac-12 in pieces. See the decades of shifting alliances