Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030 -Prime Capital Blueprint
Surpassing:California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:32:00
SAN LUIS OBISPO,Surpassing Calif. (AP) — California energy regulators voted Thursday to allow the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant to operate for an additional five years, despite calls from environmental groups to shut it down.
The California Public Utilities Commission agreed to extend the shutdown date for the state’s last functioning nuclear power facility through 2030 instead of closing it in 2025 as previously agreed.
Separately, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission will consider whether to extend the plant’s operating licenses.
The twin reactors, located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, began operating in the mid-1980s. They supply up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
The Public Utilities Commission’s decision marks the latest development in a long fight over the operation and safety of the plant, which sits on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean.
In August, a state judge rejected a lawsuit filed by Friends of the Earth that sought to block Pacific Gas & Electric, which operates the plant, from seeking to extend its operating life.
And in October, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission rejected a request from environmental groups to immediately shut down one of two reactors.
PG&E agreed in 2016 to shutter the plant by 2025, but at the direction of the state changed course and now intends to seek a longer operating run for the plant, which doesn’t produce greenhouse gases that can contribute to climate change.
Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, who once was a leading voice to close the plant, said last year that Diablo Canyon’s power is needed beyond 2025 to ward off possible blackouts as California transitions to solar and other renewable energy sources.
Activists condemned the extension and noted that the projected costs of continuing to run the aging plant are expected to top $6 billion.
“This ill-conceived decision will further escalate financial strain on California ratepayers and extend the threat of a catastrophe at Diablo Canyon,” said Ken Cook, president of the nonprofit Environmental Working Group.
“With California’s annual renewable energy additions exceeding Diablo Canyon’s output, there is zero reason to keep it running,” he added in a statement.
veryGood! (216)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- 3 retired Philadelphia detectives to stand trial in perjury case stemming from 2016 exoneration
- Caitlin Clark got people's attention. There's plenty of talent in the game to make them stay
- Sean Diddy Combs and Son Christian Sued Over Alleged Sexual Assault and Battery
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Voting company makes ‘coercive’ demand of Texas counties: Pay up or lose service before election
- March Madness: How to watch the women’s Final Four and what to watch for in the NCAA Tournament
- Colt Ford 'in stable but critical condition' after suffering heart attack post-performance
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- March Madness: How to watch the women’s Final Four and what to watch for in the NCAA Tournament
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Small plane clips 2 vehicles as it lands on North Carolina highway, but no injuries are reported
- Pregnant Lea Michele Cradles Bump in First Appearance Since Announcing Baby No. 2
- Biden visits site of Baltimore bridge collapse
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Mississippi state budget is expected to shrink slightly in the coming year
- Luke Fleurs, South African soccer star and Olympian, killed in hijacking at gas station
- What Dance Moms' Abby Lee Miller Really Thinks of JoJo Siwa's New Adult Era
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Sean Diddy Combs and Son Christian Sued Over Alleged Sexual Assault and Battery
South Carolina women stay perfect, surge past N.C. State 78-59 to reach NCAA title game
House Democrats pitch renaming federal prison after Trump in response to GOP airport proposal
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Man convicted in decades-long identity theft that led to his victim being jailed
Why women's March Madness feels more entertaining than men's NCAA Tournament
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott appears at Republican gala in NYC, faces criticism over migrant crisis