Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Police probe UK Post Office for accusing over 700 employees of theft. The culprit was an IT glitch -Prime Capital Blueprint
Will Sage Astor-Police probe UK Post Office for accusing over 700 employees of theft. The culprit was an IT glitch
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:34:57
LONDON (AP) — U.K. police have Will Sage Astoropened a fraud investigation into Britain’s Post Office over a miscarriage of justice that saw hundreds of postmasters wrongfully accused of stealing money when a faulty computer system was to blame.
The Metropolitan Police force said late Friday that it is investigating “potential fraud offences arising out of these prosecutions,” relating to money the Post Office received “as a result of prosecutions or civil actions” against accused postal workers.
Police also are investigating potential offenses of perjury and perverting the course of justice over investigations and prosecutions carried out by the Post Office.
Between 1999 and 2015, more than 700 post office branch managers were accused of theft or fraud because computers wrongly showed that money was missing. Many were financially ruined after being forced to pay large sums to the company, and some were convicted and sent to prison. Several killed themselves.
The real culprit was a defective computer accounting system called Horizon, supplied by the Japanese technology firm Fujitsu, that was installed in local Post Office branches in 1999.
The Post Office maintained for years that data from Horizon was reliable and accused branch managers of dishonesty when the system showed money was missing.
After years of campaigning by victims and their lawyers, the Court of Appeal quashed 39 of the convictions in 2021. A judge said the Post Office “knew there were serious issues about the reliability” of Horizon and had committed “egregious” failures of investigation and disclosure.
A total of 93 of the postal workers have now had their convictions overturned, according to the Post Office. But many others have yet to be exonerated, and only 30 have agreed to “full and final” compensation payments. A public inquiry into the scandal has been underway since 2022.
So far, no one from the publicly owned Post Office or other companies involved has been arrested or faced criminal charges.
Lee Castleton, a former branch manager who went bankrupt after being pursued by the Post Office for missing funds, said his family was ostracized in their hometown of Bridlington in northern England. He said his daughter was bullied because people thought “her father was a thief, and he’d take money from old people.”
He said victims wanted those responsible to be named.
“It’s about accountability,” Castleton told Times Radio on Saturday. “Let’s see who made those decisions and made this happen.”
The long-simmering scandal stirred new outrage with the broadcast this week of a TV docudrama, “Mr. Bates vs the Post Office.” It charted a two-decade battle by branch manager Alan Bates, played by Toby Jones, to expose the truth and clear the wronged postal workers.
Post Office Chief Executive Nick Read, appointed after the scandal, welcomed the TV series and said he hoped it would “raise further awareness and encourage anyone affected who has not yet come forward to seek the redress and compensation they deserve.”
A lawyer for some of the postal workers said 50 new potential victims had approached lawyers since the show aired on the ITV network.
“The drama has elevated public awareness to a whole new level,” attorney Neil Hudgell said. “The British public and their overwhelming sympathy for the plight of these poor people has given some the strength to finally come forward. Those numbers increase by the day, but there are so many more out there.”
veryGood! (95)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Raptors' Darko Rajaković goes on epic postgame rant, gets ringing endorsement from Drake
- Massachusetts House passes bill aimed at outlawing “revenge porn; Nearly all states have such bans
- ‘Obamacare’ sign-ups surge to 20 million, days before open enrollment closes
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Kentucky Derby purse raised to $5 million for 150th race in May
- Federal lawsuit against Florida school district that banned books can move forward, judge rules
- Twitter and social media ignite as legendary Alabama coach Nick Saban retires
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Greta Gerwig Has a Surprising Response to Jo Koy’s Barbie Joke
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Ready to vote in 2024? Here are the dates for Republican and Democratic primaries and caucuses, presidential election
- What Mean Girls' Reneé Rapp Really Thinks About Rachel McAdams
- Houston Texans owner is fighting son’s claims that she’s incapacitated and needs guardian
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Ready to vote in 2024? Here are the dates for Republican and Democratic primaries and caucuses, presidential election
- Hangout Music Festival 2024 lineup: Lana Del Rey, Odesza, Zach Bryan to headline
- German software giant SAP fined more than $220M to resolve US bribery allegations
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Boston reaches $2.4 million settlement with female police commander over gender discrimination case
3 adults with gunshot wounds found dead in Kentucky home set ablaze
Volunteer Connecticut firefighter hailed as hero for quick action after spotting house fire
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
What to expect in the Iowa caucuses | AP Election Brief
Former Delaware officer asks court to reverse convictions for lying to investigators after shooting
Raptors' Darko Rajaković goes on epic postgame rant, gets ringing endorsement from Drake