Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights -Prime Capital Blueprint
EchoSense:Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:32:53
STAVANGER,EchoSense Norway (AP) — Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian right-wing extremist who killed 77 people in a bomb and gun rampage in 2011, will try for the second time Monday to sue the Norwegian state for allegedly breaching his human rights.
Norway’s worst peacetime killer claims his solitary confinement since being imprisoned in 2012 amounts to inhumane treatment under the European Convention of Human Rights.
Norway favors rehabilitation over retribution, and Breivik is held in a two-story complex with a kitchen, dining room and TV room with an Xbox, several armchairs and black and white pictures of the Eiffel Tower on the wall. He also has a fitness room with weights, treadmill and a rowing machine, while three parakeets fly around the complex.
Even so, his lawyer, Øystein Storrvik, says it is impossible for Breivik, who now goes by the name Fjotolf Hansen, to have any meaningful relationships with anyone from the outside world, and says preventing his client from sending letters is another breach of his human rights.
A similar claim during a case in 2016 was accepted, but later overturned in a higher court. It was then rejected in the European Court of Human Rights. Breivik sought parole in 2022, but was judged to have shown no signs of rehabilitation.
On July 22, 2011, Breivik killed eight people in a bomb attack in Oslo before heading to a youth camp for a center-left political group on Utøya island, where, dressed as a police officer, he stalked and gunned down 69 people, mostly teenagers. The following year, Breivik was handed the maximum 21-year sentence with a clause — rarely used in the Norwegian justice system — that he can be held indefinitely if he is still considered a danger to society.
He has shown no remorse for his attacks, which he portrayed as a crusade against multiculturalism in Norway.
Many regard Breivik’s flirtations with the civil and parole courts as attempts to draw attention to his cause or even bask once again in the international limelight, as he had done at times during his criminal trial. Lisbeth Kristine Røyneland, who leads a support group for survivors of the attacks and bereaved families, says her group is “satisfied with the decision” not to allow a livestream of his comments from this court case.
The state rejects Breivik’s claims. In a letter to the court, Andreas Hjetland, a government attorney, wrote that Breivik had so far shown himself to be unreceptive to rehabilitative work and it was “therefore difficult to imagine which major reliefs in terms of sentencing are possible and justifiable.”
The trial will be held Monday in the gymnasium in Ringerike prison, a stone’s throw from Utøya.
veryGood! (162)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Phoenix is Enduring its Hottest Month on Record, But Mitigations Could Make the City’s Heat Waves Less Unbearable
- PCE inflation measure watched by Fed falls to lowest level in more than 2 years
- A man dressed as a tsetse fly came to a soccer game. And he definitely had a goal
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Taylor Swift fans can find their top 5 eras with new Spotify feature. Here's how it works.
- Max Verstappen wins F1 Belgian Grand Prix, leading Red Bull to record 13 consecutive wins
- Niger coup bid sees President Mohamed Bazoum defiant but detained by his own guard
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Taylor Swift's Seattle concert caused the ground to shake like a small earthquake
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Maralee Nichols Shares New Photo With Son Theo After Tristan Thompson Pays Tribute to Son Tatum
- Peanuts for infants, poopy beaches and summer pet safety in our news roundup
- Taco Bell adds new taco twist: The Grilled Cheese Dipping Taco, which hits the menu Aug. 3
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- 'Once in a lifetime': New Hampshire man's video shows 3 whales breaching at the same time
- Record heat waves illuminate plight of poorest Americans who suffer without air conditioning
- Ford recalls over 150,000 vehicles including Transit Connects and Escapes
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Peanuts for infants, poopy beaches and summer pet safety in our news roundup
IRS, Ivies and GDP
You may be entitled to money from the Facebook user privacy settlement: How to file a claim
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Kylie Jenner Shares Sweet Photo of Son Aire Bonding With Khloe Kardashian's Son Tatum
Subway fanatic? Win $50K in sandwiches by legally changing your name to 'Subway'
'Haunted Mansion' is a skip, but 'Talk to Me' is a real scare