Current:Home > FinanceFederal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years -Prime Capital Blueprint
Federal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:29:47
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A federal judge was poised Friday to prohibit separation of families at the border for purposes of deterring immigration for eight years, preemptively blocking resumption of a lightning-rod, Trump-era policy that the former president hasn’t ruled out if voters return him to the White House next year.
U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw tentatively approved a court settlement in October between the Justice Department and families represented by the American Civil Liberties Union. The ACLU says no one formally objected, clearing the way to end the case nearly seven years after it was filed.
Sabraw, who was appointed by President George W. Bush, ordered an end to separations in June 2018, six days after then-President Donald Trump halted them on his own amid intense international backlash. The judge also ordered that the government reunite children with their parents within 30 days, setting off a mad scramble because government databases weren’t linked. Children had been dispersed to shelters across the country that didn’t know who their parents were or how to find them.
Under the proposed settlement, the type of “zero-tolerance” policy under which the Trump administration separated more than 5,000 children from parents who were arrested for illegally entering the country would be prohibited until December 2031.
Children may still be separated but under limited circumstances, as has been the case for years. They include if the child is believed to be abused, if the parent is convicted of serious crimes or if there are doubts that the adult is the parent.
Families that were separated may be eligible for other benefits — legal status for up to three years on humanitarian parole; reunification in the United States at government expense; one year of housing; three years of counseling; legal aid in immigration court. But the settlement doesn’t pay families any money. In 2021, the Biden administration considered compensating parents and children hundreds of thousands of dollars each, but talks stalled.
As he seeks to return to the White House in next year’s elections, Trump has been noncommittal whether he would try to resume family separations. He defended the results in an interview with Univision last month, claiming without evidence that it “stopped people from coming by the hundreds of thousands.”
“When you hear that you’re going to be separated from your family, you don’t come. When you think you’re going to come into the United States with your family, you come,” Trump said.
veryGood! (257)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Gigi Hadid Shares Rare Glimpse of Her and Zayn Malik's Daughter Khai
- Pentagon to tighten oversight of handling classified information in wake of leaks
- After being accused of inappropriate conduct with minors, YouTube creator Colleen Ballinger played a ukulele in her apology video. The backlash continued.
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Eric Adams Said Next to Nothing About Climate Change During New York’s Recent Mayoral Primary
- Kristin Davis Shares Where She Stands on Kim Cattrall Drama Amid Her And Just Like That Return
- Ricky Martin and husband Jwan Yosef divorcing after six years of marriage
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- In the Southeast, power company money flows to news sites that attack their critics
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Should Solar Geoengineering Be a Tool to Slow Global Warming, or is Manipulating the Atmosphere Too Dangerous?
- Zendaya Sets the Record Straight on Claim She Was Denied Entry to Rome Restaurant
- H&M's 60% Off Summer Sale Has Hundreds of Trendy Styles Starting at $4
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Citrus Growers May Soon Have a New Way to Fight Back Against A Deadly Enemy
- People in Lebanon are robbing banks and staging sit-ins to access their own savings
- After being accused of inappropriate conduct with minors, YouTube creator Colleen Ballinger played a ukulele in her apology video. The backlash continued.
Recommendation
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Entrepreneurs Built Iowa’s Solar Economy. A Utility’s Push for Solar Fees Could Shut Them Down.
Cities Pressure TVA to Boost Renewable Energy as Memphis Weighs Breaking Away
New Details About Pregnant Tori Bowie's Final Moments Revealed
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
As Protests Rage Over George Floyd’s Death, Climate Activists Embrace Racial Justice
We Ranked All of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Movies. You're Welcome!
Trump’s Budget Could Have Chilling Effect on U.S. Clean Energy Leadership