Current:Home > InvestBritish Museum seeks public help in finding stolen artefacts -Prime Capital Blueprint
British Museum seeks public help in finding stolen artefacts
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:31:05
LONDON -- Please return if found: Hundreds of missing artefacts formerly housed in a museum in central London.
The British Museum has issued a plea to the public to assist in the recovery of ancient artefacts reported stolen or missing from its collection.
The museum -- which announced on Aug. 16 that the Metropolitan Police were investigating "a number of items" found to be "stolen, missing or damaged" -- is now appealing to anyone who may have seen the items to get in touch.
Sixty items have been returned thus far, the museum said in a statement sent to ABC News. Three hundred more are "due to be returned imminently."
The announcement followed one in August by British Museum Chairman George Osborne, who disclosed that "around 2,000" artefacts had been stolen from the museum's storerooms by a suspected museum curator.
The scandal, which has been called an "embarrassment" for the institution, triggered the resignation of British Museum Director Hartwig Fischer.
"The trustees of the British Museum were extremely concerned when we learnt earlier this year that items of the collection had been stolen," said Osborne in a statement. "Our priority is now threefold: first, to recover the stolen items; second, to find out what, if anything, could have been done to stop this; and third, to do whatever it takes, with investment in security and collection records, to make sure this doesn't happen again."
The items the museum is seeking include "gold jewellery, and gems of semi-precious stones and glass" dating back to the 15th century B.C. and the 19th century A.D.
None of the items has recently been on public display, said the museum.
Although the museum is not sharing details of the lost and damaged items following advice from "recovery specialists," the museum announced that majority of the stolen items are from the Department of Greece and Rome, "mainly falling into the categories of gems and jewellery."
The museum also announced that some of the items had been placed on the Art Loss Register -- the world's largest private database of stolen art, antiques, and collectables: "This will ensure that if the stolen pieces appear in the over 400,000 items a year that are checked by them, they will be identified," said the Museum.
Involved too in the search are an international panel of experts, made up "leading specialists" in the field of identification and recovery of stolen items.
Prior to the public appeal, investigations into the missing items had been taking place behind closed doors in partnership with the metropolitan police. In a statement sent to ABC News, the Metropolitan Police confirmed one man had been interviewed on Aug. 23 in relation to the thefts. He was placed "under caution," having voluntarily attended a police station.
The Metropolitan Police told ABC News enquiries into the missing objects continue.
Many have pointed out the irony of the British Museum -- which has come under scrutiny to return artefacts in their possession to their country of origin -- seeking public assistance in retrieving stolen artefacts.
In August, the British Museum announced it will return 72 artifacts that were looted in 1897 -- including Benin Bronzes -- to the Nigerian Government.
The British Museum is also entangled in a debate with Greek authorities over ownership of the famous "Pantheon Sculptures," which were taken from the Pantheon between 1801 and 1805.
"Sir Nigel Boardman and I continue to work closely with the British Museum, other organisations and specialists in this area to recover stolen items and return them to the British Museum's collection," said Lucy D'Orsi, Joint Chair of the Independent Review. "We are very grateful for the support we have received."
veryGood! (65966)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Haitian judge issues arrest warrants accusing former presidents and prime ministers of corruption
- Italian influencer under investigation in scandal over sales of Christmas cakes for charity: reports
- Sri Lanka to join US-led naval operations against Houthi rebels in Red Sea
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Washington's Kalen DeBoer draws on mentor's letter as he leads Huskies to CFP title game
- Jim Gaffigan on surviving the holidays reality TV-style
- Kristen Wiig, Will Ferrell hilariously reunite on Golden Globes stage
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Prince's 'Purple Rain' is becoming a stage musical
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- NYC Mayor Eric Adams says story of firing a gun at school, recounted in his book, never happened
- Christopher Nolan Reacts to Apology From Peloton Instructor After Movie Diss
- Shocking TV series 'Hoarders' is back. But now we know more about mental health.
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Some are leaving earthquake-rattled Wajima. But this Japanese fish seller is determined to rebuild
- New Jersey lawmakers to vote on pay raises for themselves, the governor and other officials
- Taliban-appointed prime minister meets with a top Pakistan politician in hopes of reducing tensions
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Shocking TV series 'Hoarders' is back. But now we know more about mental health.
New Jersey lawmakers to vote on pay raises for themselves, the governor and other officials
Jonathan Majors breaks silence in first interview: 'One of the biggest mistakes of my life'
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
JetBlue’s CEO is stepping down, and he’ll be replaced by the first woman to lead a big US airline
Israeli defense minister lays out vision for post-war Gaza
California man gets 4 years in prison for false sex assault claims against Hollywood executives