Current:Home > reviewsJudge finds woman incompetent to stand trial in fatal stabbing of 3-year-old outside supermarket -Prime Capital Blueprint
Judge finds woman incompetent to stand trial in fatal stabbing of 3-year-old outside supermarket
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 21:36:53
CLEVELAND (AP) — A woman who authorities say fatally stabbed a 3-year-old boy as he sat in a grocery cart outside an Ohio supermarket and wounded his mother has been found incompetent to stand trial.
Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge John Russo issued the ruling Friday. He said Bionca Ellis, 33, of Cleveland, will remain hospitalized indefinitely and could eventually stand trial if she improves. Her bail was set at $5 million shortly after the attack occurred, and her trial had been tentatively scheduled to start Dec. 9.
Authorities have said Ellis was inside the Giant Eagle grocery store on June 3 in the Cleveland suburb of North Olmsted when she saw Julian Wood and his mother, Margot Wood, near the front and followed them into the parking lot.
The mother was about to load her groceries into her vehicle when Ellis ran at them with a knife, stabbing the boy twice, in an attack that took less than five seconds before Ellis walked away. The boy died at a hospital while Margot Wood was treated at a hospital for a stab wound to her shoulder — a wound prosecutors have said she suffered after trying to pull the boy out of the cart during the attack.
Authorities have not given a motivation for the attack, which they believe was a random incident. Ellis is being represented by the public defender’s office, which generally does not comment on cases.
veryGood! (84624)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Inquiry into New Zealand’s worst mass shooting will examine response times of police and medics
- 'The Hunger Games' stage adaptation will battle in London theater in fall 2024
- Georgetown women's basketball coach Tasha Butts, 41, dies after battle with breast cancer
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Most Countries are Falling Short of Their Promises to Stop Cutting Down the World’s Trees
- Authorities find getaway car used by 4 inmates who escaped Georgia jail, offer $73,000 reward
- Storm Norma weakens after dropping heavy rain on Mexico, as Hurricane Tammy makes landfall in Barbuda
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Possible motive revealed week after renowned Iranian film director and wife stabbed to death
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Phillies sluggers cold again in NLCS, Nola falters in Game 6 loss to Arizona
- US suspending most foreign aid to Gabon after formal coup designation
- Authorities find getaway car used by 4 inmates who escaped Georgia jail, offer $73,000 reward
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- The 2023 Soros Arts Fellows plan to fight climate change and other global issues with public art
- 10 NBA players under pressure to perform in 2023-24 include Joel Embiid, Damian Lillard
- North Carolina Republicans close in on new districts seeking to fortify GOP in Congress, legislature
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
New details emerge after off-duty pilot allegedly tried to shut off engines on flight
UN official: Hostilities in Syria have reached the worst point in four years
See the wreckage from the 158-vehicle pileup near New Orleans; authorities blame 'superfog'
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Officers shoot armed suspect in break-in who refused to drop gun, chief says
Detroit officials approve spending nearly $14 million in federal dollars on inflatable dome
Parents describe watching video of Hamas taking 23-year-old son hostage