Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|17-year-old suspect in the New York stabbing of a dancer is indicted on a hate-crime murder charge -Prime Capital Blueprint
Burley Garcia|17-year-old suspect in the New York stabbing of a dancer is indicted on a hate-crime murder charge
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 00:13:21
NEW YORK (AP) — A 17-year-old was indicted on Burley Garciaa hate-crime murder charge in a stabbing that followed taunts and confrontation over a group of men dancing shirtless to Beyoncé as they gassed up their car, prosecutors said Thursday.
Prosecutors concluded O’Shae Sibley’s death was motivated by anti-Black and anti-LGBTQ bias, Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said.
“It’s clear to me, under the circumstances of this case, that in substantial part, this attack was caused because people were offended by Mr. Sibley and his friends dancing and celebrating,” Gonzalez said.
The suspect is due in court Friday to answer the charge. It mirrors the charge on which he was arrested last week. If convicted, he faces at least 20 years in prison.
The Associated Press sent a text message to his attorney, Mark Pollard, seeking comment. Pollard’s voicemail box was full. The teen’s grandmother told the Daily News he was defending himself. Prosecutors have not released the suspect’s name.
The chain of events that ended in Sibley’s July 29 death began when he and his friends were dancing at a pump at a Brooklyn gas station, and another group of people began taunting them, authorities said.
Security camera video showed the two groups arguing for a few minutes. Both sides walked away, and then Sibley and a friend returned and confronted one of the others, who had stayed behind recording on his phone.
In the video, Sibley, 28, could be seen following that person and then lunging at him before the two disappeared out of the camera’s frame. A moment later, Sibley walked backward into view, checking his side, then collapsed to the sidewalk.
“What the video shows is that Mr. Sibley was rightfully in a position to speak out and protect himself and his friends from anti-gay and anti-Black slurs, and that what occurred after that was a crime,” said Gonzalez, a Democrat. He noted that Sibley and his friends were unarmed.
“Defending yourself from the anti-gay or anti-Black comments, arguing back, it’s not a cause for someone to take a weapon and do what was done in this case,” the prosecutor said. He added that he was confident the charges would be proven at trial.
Sibley performed with the dance company Philadanco in his native Philadelphia and in New York and took classes with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater’s Ailey Extension program. He used dance to celebrate his LGBTQ identity in works such as “Soft: A Love Letter to Black Queer Men,” choreographed by Kemar Jewel.
About 200 people attended Sibley’s funeral Tuesday at a historic opera house in Philadelphia. His death has prompted an outpouring of tributes from politicians and celebrities, including Beyoncé and filmmaker Spike Lee.
veryGood! (62)
Related
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Stock market today: Asian shares track Wall Street’s slump after Fed says rates may stay high in ’24
- The suspect in the ambush killing of a Los Angeles sheriff’s deputy is set to appear in court
- Dodgers pitcher Brusdar Graterol pitches in front of mom after 7 years apart: 'Incredible'
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- After leaving bipartisan voting information group, Virginia announces new data-sharing agreements
- Brewers' J.C. Mejía gets 162-game ban after second positive test for illegal substance
- Sweden’s central bank hikes key interest rate, saying inflation is still too high
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Adidas CEO doubts that Kanye West really meant the antisemitic remarks that led Adidas to drop him
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Son of Utah woman who gave online parenting advice says therapist tied him up with ropes
- An Idaho man has measles. Health officials are trying to see if the contagious disease has spread.
- Ray Epps, Trump supporter targeted by Jan. 6 conspiracy theory, pleads guilty to Capitol riot charge
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- 'Super Models' doc reveals disdain for Crawford's mole, Evangelista's ‘deep depression’
- California man accused of killing Los Angeles deputy pleads not guilty due to insanity
- Group behind Supreme Court affirmative action cases files lawsuit against West Point over admissions policies
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Quaalude queenpin: How a 70-year-old Boca woman's international drug operation toppled over
Outdated headline sparks vicious online hate campaign directed at Las Vegas newspaper
Iran’s president says US should ease sanctions to demonstrate it wants to return to nuclear deal
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Based on a true story
Princess Beatrice's Husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi Shares Royally Cute Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Sienna
Why the power of a US attorney has become a flashpoint in the Hunter Biden case