Current:Home > NewsProsecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -Prime Capital Blueprint
Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 22:37:24
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The local prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (714)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Decades-old mystery of murdered woman's identity solved as authorities now seek her killer
- Immediately stop using '5in1' baby rocker due to suffocation, strangulation risk, regulators say
- Man arrested in shooting at Lil Baby concert in Memphis
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Hawaii Army base under lockdown after man flees with handgun; no shots fired
- Lebanese Armenians scuffle with riot police during protest outside Azerbaijan Embassy
- EEOC sues Tesla, alleging race discrimination and retaliation against Black employees
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- The Rolling Stones release new gospel-inspired song with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder: Listen
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Things to know about the Klamath River dam removal project, the largest in US history
- 'Raise your wands:' Social media flooded with tributes to Dumbledore actor Michael Gambon
- Authorities in Maui will open more of the burn zone to visits by residents next week
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Jawlene, Jawlene! Florida alligator missing top jaw gets punny Dolly Parton name
- Stock market today: Asian shares mixed, with most regional markets closed after Wall St ticks higher
- Winners and losers of 'Thursday Night Football': Lions make statement with win at Packers
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Scotland to get U.K.'s first ever illegal drug consumption room in bid to tackle addiction
The Powerball jackpot has reached $925 million. Here are the top 10 jackpots in Powerball history
Chico's to sell itself to Sycamore Partners in $1B deal, prompting stock price to surge
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Ohio football coach whose team called ‘Nazi’ during game says he was forced to resign, no ill intent
Student pilot, instructor killed in plane crash during severe storm in Kentucky
EU struggles to update asylum laws three years on from a sweeping reform. And the clock is ticking