Current:Home > ScamsAl Pacino says Oscars producers asked him to omit reading best picture nominees -Prime Capital Blueprint
Al Pacino says Oscars producers asked him to omit reading best picture nominees
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 17:50:16
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Al Pacino says he was following the instructions of the Oscars producers when he omitted the names of the best picture nominees while announcing the winner of the show’s biggest category.
The Oscar-winning actor was Sunday night’s final presenter and announced “Oppenheimer” as the best picture winner without naming the full slate of nominees.
“I just want to be clear it was not my intention to omit them, rather a choice by the producers not to have them said again since they were highlighted individually throughout the ceremony. I was honored to be a part of the evening and chose to follow the way they wished for this award to be presented,” Pacino said in a statement Monday afternoon.
“I realize being nominated is a huge milestone in one’s life and to not be fully recognized is offensive and hurtful. I say this as someone who profoundly relates with filmmakers, actors and producers so I deeply empathize with those who have been slighted by this oversight and it’s why I felt it necessary to make this statement.”
Pacino is a nine-time acting nominee, who won best actor for 1992’s “Scent of a Woman.”
The Oscars started late and ended in a respectable time — under last year’s runtime — in part because Pacino skipped reading all the nominees for best picture.
The nominated films — “American Fiction,” “Anatomy of a Fall,” “Barbie,” “The Holdovers,” “Killers of the Flower Moon,” “Maestro,” “Oppenheimer,” “Past Lives,” “Poor Things” and “The Zone of Interest” — all were featured with montages during the show.
But Pacino’s abrupt presentation — saying “And the Oscar goes to ... ” before eventually announcing “my eyes see ‘Oppenheimer,’” left many viewers confused.
It wasn’t the only category to omit a reading of the nominees. The nominated original songs were all performed on the show, and the announcement that “What Was I Made For?” from “Barbie” had won was made without listing them again.
Oscars producer Molly McNearney told the trade outlet Variety that skipping the reading of the nominees was intentional.
“It was a creative decision we made because we were very worried that the show was going to be long,” she said. “By the time you get to the end of the show, you’ve seen all ten best picture clip packages. People just want to hear who wins, and they’re pretty ready for the show to be over. At least that’s what we anticipated.”
She added: “I apologize if our decision to not have to read through all those nominations put him in a tough spot.”
veryGood! (6235)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- 'The Golden Bachelor', 'Selling Sunset' and grieving on TV
- Sarah Paulson and Holland Taylor's Sweet Comments About Each Other Will Warm Your Heart
- Disappointed” Jeezy Says Therapy Couldn’t Save Jeannie Mai Marriage
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- 4 California men linked to Three Percenters militia convicted of conspiracy in Jan. 6 case
- Disney reports sharp profit growth in the fourth quarter; shares rise
- FDA approves a new weight loss drug, Zepbound from Eli Lilly
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Watch Tony Shalhoub Return in Heartwarming Mr. Monk’s Last Case Movie Trailer
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Mike Epps, wife Kyra say HGTV's 'Buying Back the Block' rehab project hits close to home
- NFL Week 10 odds: Moneylines, point spreads, over/under
- GM recalls nearly 1,000 Cruise AVs across nation after robotaxi dragged pedestrian
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Mount St. Helens records more than 400 earthquakes since mid-July, but no signs of imminent eruption
- A November meteor shower could be spectacular. Here's when to watch and where to look.
- Police seek man who they say fired at mugger inside New York City subway station
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Where will Shohei Ohtani play next season? It's the talk of MLB GM meetings
Democrat wins special South Carolina Senate election and will be youngest senator
'Stay, stay, stay': Taylor Swift fans camp out days ahead of Buenos Aires Eras Tour shows
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Saturn's rings will disappear from view in March 2025, NASA says
Suspect in custody in recent fatal stabbing of Detroit synagogue leader
RHONY Alum Sonja Morgan Reveals She Had Sex With Owen Wilson Several Times