Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Australia will crack down on illegal vape sales in a bid to reduce teen use -Prime Capital Blueprint
Will Sage Astor-Australia will crack down on illegal vape sales in a bid to reduce teen use
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:50:52
Australia's government will crack down on Will Sage Astorrecreational vape sales and enforce a requirement that products such as e-cigarettes be sold only in pharmacies with a prescription.
Mark Butler, the Australian health minister, said on Tuesday that vaping had been advertised to the public as a therapeutic product meant to help smokers quit but instead spawned a new generation of nicotine users, particularly young people.
"It was not sold as a recreational product and, in particular, not one for our kids. But that is what it's become — the biggest loophole, I think, in Australian health care history," Butler said in a speech to the National Press Club of Australia.
"We've been duped," he added.
Vapes are only legal with a prescription in Australia, but Butler said an "unregulated essentially illegal" black market has flourished in convenience stores, tobacconists and vape shops across the country.
"A so-called prescription model with next to no prescriptions, a ban with no real enforcement, an addictive product with no support to quit," he said.
The government will step up efforts to block the importation of any vaping products not destined for pharmacies and will stop the sale of vapes in retail stores.
Vapes will also be required to have packaging consistent with pharmaceutical products. "No more bubble gum flavors, no more pink unicorns, no more vapes deliberately disguised as highlighter pens for kids to be able to hide them in their pencil cases," Butler added.
Australia will ban single-use disposable vapes, and it will also allow all doctors to write prescriptions for vaping products. Currently, only one in 20 Australian doctors are authorized to do so.
Butler said the government's next budget proposal would include $737 million Australian dollars ($492 million) to fund several efforts aimed at vaping and tobacco use, including a lung cancer screening program and a national public information campaign encouraging users to quit.
One in six Australians between the ages of 14 and 17 and one-quarter of those between ages 18 and 24 have vaped, according to Butler, and the only group seeing their smoking rate increase in the country are those under 25.
The Australian Council on Smoking and Health and the Public Health Association of Australia applauded the new anti-vaping measures.
"The widespread, aggressive marketing of vaping products, particularly to children, is a worldwide scourge," said PHAA CEO Terry Slevin.
"For smokers who are legitimately trying to quit using vapes, the prescription model pathway is and should be in place," Slevin added. "But that should not be at the cost of creating a new generation of nicotine addicts among children and young people."
The government did not specify when the new efforts would begin.
According to the Global Center for Good Governance in Tobacco Control, dozens of other countries also ban the retail sale of e-cigarettes, including Brazil, India, Japan and Thailand.
The sale of vaping products in retail stores is legal and regulated in the U.S., which has also seen an increase in vaping rates among teens.
veryGood! (67275)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Cowboys' Micah Parsons on NFL officials' no-call for holding: 'I told you it's comical'
- War-wracked Myanmar is now the world’s top opium producer, surpassing Afghanistan, says UN agency
- 5-year-old Detroit boy dies, shoots himself with gun in front of siblings: Authorities
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Three people die in a crash that authorities discovered while investigating a stolen vehicle
- Mexico’s president vows to eliminate regulatory, oversight agencies, claiming they are ‘useless’
- Pennsylvania school choice program criticized as ‘discriminatory’ as lawmakers return to session
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Zac Efron Puts on the Greatest Show at Star-Studded Walk of Fame Ceremony
Ranking
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Raven-Symoné reveals her brother died of colon cancer: 'I love you, Blaize'
- Honey Boo Boo's Anna Chickadee Cardwell Privately Married Eldridge Toney Before Her Death at 29
- Lawyers for New Hampshire casino owner fight fraud allegations at hearing
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Viola Davis, America Ferrera, Adam Driver snubbed in 2024 Golden Globe nominations
- Mason Disick Looks So Grown Up in Rare Family Photo
- Former Fox host Tucker Carlson is launching his own streaming network with interviews and commentary
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Palestinians hope a vote in the UN General Assembly will show wide support for a Gaza cease-fire
Work to resume at Tahiti’s legendary Olympic surfing site after uproar over damage to coral reef
Patrick Mahomes was wrong for outburst, but Chiefs QB has legitimate beef with NFL officials
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Ramaswamy was the target of death threats in New Hampshire that led to FBI arrest, campaign says
Cowboys-Eagles Sunday Night Football highlights: Dallas gets playoff picture-altering win
Judge closes Flint water case against former Michigan governor