Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:An explosive case of police violence in the Paris suburbs ends with the conviction of 3 officers -Prime Capital Blueprint
SafeX Pro:An explosive case of police violence in the Paris suburbs ends with the conviction of 3 officers
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:25:09
PARIS (AP) — A French court convicted three police officers of “voluntary violence” towards a youth worker in a Paris suburb who suffered serious injuries to his rectum after being assaulted with a police baton during an identity check seven years ago.
All three officers received suspended prison sentences. The SafeX Proofficer who used the baton to strike Théo Luhaka was given a suspended sentence of 12 months, while the other two present on the scene got three months each.
Luhaka, a youth worker of African descent who was 22 years old at the time, filed a lawsuit accusing the officers of assaulting him during an identity check in February 2017 in Aulnay-sous-Bois, a working-class suburb northeast of Paris with a large immigrant population.
Rights defenders have long complained of French police abusing their powers during identity checks on people of color.
The court in the town of Bobigny, about 9 kilometers (5 miles) north-east of the French capital, dropped the charge of a “permanent infirmity” in its decision on Friday. A charge of rape was dropped earlier.
Despite the light sentences, the verdict brought a sense of closure for Luhaka, the French press reported his lawyers as saying.
“It’s a decision ... that we take as a victory,” said Antoine Vey, Luhaka’s lawyer, according to the daily Le Monde. Luhaka did not speak, but had said earlier that he would be relieved if the police were convicted.
The lawyer for Marc-Antoine Castelain, the officer who received the 12-month sentence, also welcomed the verdict.
“The first impression of our client is the immense relief that, for the first time, in the eyes of France, it has been established that ... he is not a criminal,” Le Monde quoted Thibault de Montbrial as saying, adding that the court had set the record straight about his actions at the time.
Widespread anger erupted after a video surfaced online apparently showing Luhaka’s arrest on Feb. 2, 2017. The incident was followed by a week of protests in suburbs around Paris, many degenerating into violence.
Rioting has accompanied police ID checks gone awry in the past. Most recently, the shooting death of Nahel Merzouk, a 17-year-old youth with Algerian roots, during a police ID check last June touched off days of rioting around France. The motorcycle police officer who fired into the stopped car driven by the young man has been charged with voluntary homicide but was released from detention during the investigation.
In the case of Théo Luhaka, Le Monde reported that Castelain, the officer who used the “telescopic baton,” was also banned from carrying a weapon or patrolling the streets for five years. The other two officers received similar bans for two years.
All three denied wrong-doing and said their reaction was justified because the young man was in “rebellion.”
veryGood! (94725)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- AP Week in Pictures: Europe and Africa
- Boston man pleads guilty in scheme to hire someone to kill his estranged wife and her boyfriend
- First IVF rhino pregnancy could save northern white rhinos from the brink of extinction.
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Sofia Richie is pregnant, expecting first child with husband Elliot Grainge
- UN: Global trade is being disrupted by Red Sea attacks, war in Ukraine and low water in Panama Canal
- Dominant Chiefs defense faces the ultimate test: Stopping Ravens' Lamar Jackson
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- With beds scarce and winter bearing down, a tent camp grows outside NYC’s largest migrant shelter
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Dominican judge orders conditional release of US rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine in domestic violence case
- Teen murder suspect still on the run after fleeing from Philadelphia hospital
- A portrait of America's young adults: More debt burdened and financially dependent on their parents
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Senate deal on border and Ukraine at risk of collapse as Trump pushes stronger measures
- Map: See where cicada broods will emerge for first time in over 200 years
- Teen murder suspect still on the run after fleeing from Philadelphia hospital
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Republican National Committee plans to soon consider declaring Trump the ‘presumptive 2024 nominee’
A house fire in northwest Alaska killed a woman and 5 children, officials say
How Sofia Richie's Dad Lionel Richie and Sister Nicole Richie Reacted to Her Pregnancy
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Senate deal on border and Ukraine at risk of collapse as Trump pushes stronger measures
How Sofia Richie's Dad Lionel Richie and Sister Nicole Richie Reacted to Her Pregnancy
Losing a job in your 50s is extremely tough. Here are 3 steps to take when layoffs happen.