Current:Home > FinanceBurley Garcia|North Carolina lawsuits challenging same-day registration change can proceed, judge says -Prime Capital Blueprint
Burley Garcia|North Carolina lawsuits challenging same-day registration change can proceed, judge says
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 17:55:37
RALEIGH,Burley Garcia N.C. (AP) — Two lawsuits challenging how North Carolina legislators recently tightened same-day voter registration can continue, even though state election officials have recently made adjustments to address a judge’s constitutional concerns.
U.S. District Judge Thomas Schroeder refused on Tuesday to dismiss the suits filed by several voter advocacy groups and a voter, rejecting motions from defendants who include Republican legislative leaders and the State Board of Elections.
The lawsuits target a 2023 law that changes when election officials can disqualify a vote cast by someone who registered the same day during the 17-day early voting period.
With over 100,000 new registrants having sought same-day registration in North Carolina during each of the last two presidential general elections, adjustments in the same-day rules could affect close statewide elections this fall.
A provision of the new law stated that same-day applicants would be removed from voter rolls if election officials sent them a single piece of mail that came back as undeliverable. The previous law required two pieces of undeliverable mail. The groups who sued said the new procedure would increase risks that voters would be disenfranchised by paperwork errors or mail mishaps.
Early this year, Schroeder ruled that the provision was likely unconstitutional on due process grounds. In a Jan. 21 injunction, he said the change couldn’t take effect without administrative protections that would allow an applicant to challenge their vote from being disqualified.
In response a week later, the state board sent county election offices an updated memorandum that amended same-day registration rules so as to create a formal way to appeal being removed from the voter rolls after one undeliverable mailer. The state board’s rule alterations were used in the March 5 primary.
Attorneys for the Republican lawmakers cited the memo last month in a brief asking for one of the lawsuits to be dismissed, saying “there is no longer a live case or controversy that the Court can redress.”
But Schroeder noted that under state law, rules the State Board of Elections rewrites in response to a court decision are temporary. In this case, the changes expire in early 2025.
Schroeder acknowledged that it’s likely the General Assembly will pass a law to make the state board’s rules permanent. But for now, the rules remain temporary, he wrote, and legislators haven’t shown that the “interim rule moots the complaint.”
In separate orders denying dismissals of the lawsuits, the judge, who was nominated to the bench by President George W. Bush, also wrote that the plaintiffs had legal standing to sue or that their allegations surpassed a low plausibility threshold.
At least three lawsuits have been filed challenging portions of the wide-ranging voting law that the General Assembly enacted last October over Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto.
The third lawsuit, filed by the national and state Democratic parties, challenges a handful of other provisions and was part of the January preliminary injunction. Dismissal motions in this case are pending.
Schroeder addressed the other two lawsuits on Tuesday. On Wednesday, the judge also set a June 3 trial date for one of these lawsuits, filed by Democracy North Carolina, the North Carolina Black Alliance and the League of Women Voters of North Carolina.
veryGood! (1588)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- In 1984, Margaret Thatcher was nearly assassinated — a new book asks, what if?
- Queen Latifah and Super Mario Bros. make history in National Recording Registry debut
- 'Air' is a soleless podia-pic about the origins of a shoe
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Actor John Leguizamo's new TV docuseries spotlights Latino culture
- Below Deck's Katie Glaser Reacts to Alissa Humber's Firing
- Billy Porter Details How Accused Brought Authenticity to Its Portrayal of the Drag Scene
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Summer Pardi Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Jon Pardi
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Kim Kardashian’s SKIMS Swim Collection Is Back With New Styles After 500K All-Time Waitlist Signups
- 'Chang Can Dunk' is the coming-of-age sports film Jingyi Shao wished for as a kid
- Alec Baldwin Faces Reduced Charge in Rust Shooting Case After 5-Year Gun Enhancement Is Dropped
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Gloria Dea, the 1st magician to perform on the Las Vegas Strip, dies at 100
- RHONJ Preview: Joe Gorga Slams Luis Ruelas Over Teresa Giudice's Wedding Snub
- 2023 Whiting Awards recognize 10 emerging writers
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
See Gisele Bündchen Recreate Her 2004 Rio Carnival Look Nearly 20 Years Later
'Harry Potter' books will be adapted into a decade-long TV series
Tom Sizemore Hospitalized After Suffering Brain Aneurysm
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
The 78 Best Amazon Deals to Shop During Presidents’ Day 2023
'Better Call Saul' star's new series 'Lucky Hank' makes a midlife crisis compelling
'Wait Wait' for April 1, 2023: With Not My Job guest Michelle Rodriguez