Current:Home > MyTrevor Lawrence agrees to $275 million extension with Jacksonville Jaguars -Prime Capital Blueprint
Trevor Lawrence agrees to $275 million extension with Jacksonville Jaguars
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:11:56
The Jacksonville Jaguars might have missed the playoffs last season, but they are doubling down on their franchise quarterback.
The Jaguars and quarterback Trevor Lawrence have agreed to terms on a five-year, $275 million contract extension — with $200 million guaranteed — ahead of the 2024 season, a person close to the situation informed USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they aren’t authorized to discuss the extension. The new deal matches Lawrence with the Cincinnati Bengals' Joe Burrow as the NFL's highest-paid quarterback and highest-paid player in league history (in per-season average salary).
HIGHEST PAID NFL QBS: The salaries for the 42 highest paid NFL quarterbacks of 2023
Lawrence is the sixth quarterback in the league to make over $50 million a season, joining Cincinnati Bengals' Joe Burrow ($55 million), Detroit Lions' Jared Goff ($53 million), Los Angeles Chargers' Justin Herbert ($52.5 million), Baltimore Ravens' Lamar Jackson ($52 million) and Philadelphia Eagles' Jalen Hurts ($51 million).
Lawrence, the No. 1 overall pick of the 2021 NFL draft, has lived up to expectations. He earned his first Pro Bowl nod in 2022 and that season led the Jaguars to a playoff victory against the Chargers in the wild-card round after overcoming a 27-point deficit, which marks the fifth-largest comeback in NFL history. Last season, Lawrence completed 65.6% of his passes for 4,016 yards, 21 touchdowns and 14 interceptions, but the Jaguars dropped six of their last nine games as Lawrence struggled with injury and missed the playoffs.
All things Jaguars: Latest Jacksonville Jaguars news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
Lawrence said last year was a "disappointing season," but noted that "my best ball is definitely ahead of me." The 24-year-old previously opened up about a potential contract extension and said it "would be nice to have that done" in the offseason.
"I'd love to, obviously, be a Jag for as long as possible," Lawrence said in April. "We love it here and I love where we're headed as an organization and feel like I'm just getting better every year. My best ball is definitely ahead of me. So, from that standpoint, obviously, yeah, that would be great."
Lawrence continued: "It's going into my fourth year, it's not like this is necessarily going to be my last season. There's a lot that could happen. So, not really my focus right now. At the end of the day, my job isn't going to change whether I get extended or not before this season. My job is to go win games and to be the best I can be for this team so we can have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Even if I get the contract extension, that's still my job."
The Jaguars are one of 12 NFL teams that have never won a Super Bowl.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- New Thai prime minister pays friendly visit to neighboring Cambodia’s own new leader
- Iraq’s prime minister visits wedding fire victims as 2 more people die from their injuries
- Spotted lanternfly has spread to Illinois, threatening trees and crops
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Heist of $1.5 Million Buddha Statue Leads to Arrest in Los Angeles
- Costco membership price increase 'a question of when, not if,' CFO says
- National Coffee Day 2023: Dunkin', Krispy Kreme and more coffee spots have deals, promotions
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Storm Elias crashes into a Greek city, filling homes with mud and knocking out power
Ranking
- Small twin
- UAW to announce next round of strike targets Friday: 'Everything is on the table'
- Owner had pulled own child out of Bronx day care over fentanyl concerns: Sources
- Travis King, the U.S. soldier who crossed South Korea's border into North Korea, is back in U.S.
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Famous 'Sycamore Gap tree' found cut down overnight; teen arrested
- $10,000 bill sells for nearly half a million dollars at Texas auction — and 1899 coin sells for almost as much
- Travis King, the U.S. soldier who crossed South Korea's border into North Korea, is back in U.S.
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Remains found in 1996 identified after New Hampshire officials use modern DNA testing tech
'The truth has finally set him free.': Man released after serving 28 years for crime he didn't commit
Milwaukee to acquire Damian Lillard from Portland in blockbuster three-team trade
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Late-night TV is back: Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert, more to return after writers strike
Senior Baton Rouge officer on leave after son arrested in 'brave cave' case
Plane that crashed, killing Rep. Peltola’s husband, had over 500 pounds of meat and antlers on board