Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Wife of accused Long Island serial killer battling cancer; could sue investigators who searched home -Prime Capital Blueprint
Oliver James Montgomery-Wife of accused Long Island serial killer battling cancer; could sue investigators who searched home
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:48:44
NEW YORK (AP) — The Oliver James Montgomerywife of Rex Heuermann, the man charged with killing at least three women and burying their bodies on a remote coastal highway, is living in a “waking surreal nightmare,” her attorney said Friday, struggling to pay for cancer treatment while living in a house trashed by investigators.
At a press conference on Long Island, attorneys for Heuermann’s estranged wife, Asa Ellerup, and his two adult children, announced the family planned to follow a notice of claim, a move that would allow them to eventually sue police for “leaving their home in shambles” while searching for possible evidence.
“Their valuables were shattered, their places were destroyed, the places they laid their heads no longer exists,” said Vess Mitev, an attorney who is also representing Heuermann’s 26-year-old daughter, Victoria, and 34-year-old stepson, Christopher Sheridan. “They’re going through a horrific emotional time that none of us can imagine.”
Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney has said police followed standard procedure during their 12-day search of the house.
Attorneys also said Ellerup is currently scrambling to find a way to pay for her skin and breast cancer treatment once her current medical insurance, which is tied to her husband’s employment, runs out later this year. Ellerup filed for divorce last month.
The family has raised more than $40,000 through a GoFundMe started by Melissa Moore, the daughter of serial killer Keith Hunter Jesperson, known as the “Happy Face Killer.”
That crowd-funding campaign has generated some controversy. John Ray, an attorney for Shannon Gilbert, a woman found dead on a coastal marsh near Heuermann’s alleged victims, urged the public against donating to the family, describing them as suspects in the case, rather than victims.
Suffolk Police have concluded that Gilbert drowned accidentally — a finding her family has not accepted, believing she was also killed.
Heuermann, 59, was charged last month in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Costello and Megan Waterman. He is the prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes. All four of the women were believed to be engaged in sex work prior to their disappearance. Heuermann has pleaded not guilty the charges.
Bob Macedonio, an attorney for Ellerup, said Heuermann was living a “complete double life,” with his wife and children totally in the dark about his alleged crimes. The attorneys shared a photo of the Heuermann household on Christmas in 2011, a little over a year after his final victim went missing, showing wrapped gifts sitting under an adorned tree in the family’s living room.
Authorities have not reached out to any family members, the lawyers said. Ellerup has spoken to her husband by phone, but has not visited him.
Heuermann is due back in court on September 27th.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Texas teen struck, killed by semi after getting off school bus; driver charged with homicide
- Baltimore’s light rail service suspended temporarily for emergency inspections
- Chevy Chase falls off stage in New York at 'Christmas Vacation' movie screening
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- French actor Gerard Depardieu is under scrutiny over sexual remarks and gestures in new documentary
- Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott 'regretted' using 9/11 reference in 2019 team meeting
- Woman arrested after trying to pour gasoline on Martin Luther King's birth home, police say
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Missouri House Democrat is kicked off committees after posting photo with alleged Holocaust denier
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- African bank accounts, a fake gold inheritance: Dating scammer indicted for stealing $1M
- The IOC confirms Russian athletes can compete at Paris Olympics with approved neutral status
- Air Force major says he feared his powerlifting wife
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Indiana secretary of state appeals ruling for US Senate candidate seeking GOP nod
- Patriotic brand Old Southern Brass said products were US-made. The FTC called its bluff.
- UNLV shooting victims join growing number of lives lost to mass killings in US this year
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Prince Constantin of Liechtenstein dies unexpectedly at 51
UNLV shooting victims join growing number of lives lost to mass killings in US this year
A pregnant woman in Kentucky sues for the right to get an abortion
Travis Hunter, the 2
Why do doctors still use pagers?
How Gisele Bündchen Blocks Out the Noise on Social Media
It's official: Taylor Swift's Eras Tour makes history as first to earn $1 billion