Current:Home > MySurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Striking Hollywood actors vote to authorize new walkout against video game makers -Prime Capital Blueprint
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Striking Hollywood actors vote to authorize new walkout against video game makers
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 18:00:51
LOS ANGELES — Striking actors have Surpassing Quant Think Tank Centervoted to expand their walkout to include the lucrative video game market, a step that could put new pressure on Hollywood studios to make a deal with the performers who provide voices and stunts for games.
The Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Radio and Television Artists announced the move late Monday, saying that 98% of its members voted to go on strike against video game companies if ongoing negotiations are not successful. The announcement came ahead of more talks planned for Tuesday.
Acting in video games can include a variety of roles, from voice performances to motion capture work as well as stunts. Video game actors went on strike in 2016 in a work stoppage that lasted nearly a year.
Some of the same issues are at play in the video game negotiations as in the broader actors strike that has shut down Hollywood for months, including wages, safety measures and protections on the use of artificial intelligence. The companies involved include gaming giants Activision, Electronic Arts, Epic Games, Take 2 Productions as well as Disney and Warner Bros.' video game divisions.
"It's time for the video game companies to stop playing games and get serious about reaching an agreement on this contract," SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher said in a statement.
More:Every Hollywood awards show, major movie postponed by writers' and actors' strikes
Audrey Cooling, a spokesperson for video game producers, said they are "continuing to negotiate in good faith" and have reached tentative agreements on more than half of the proposals on the table.
So far this year, U.S. consumers have spent $34.9 billion on video games, consoles and accessories, according to market research group Circana.
The threat of a video game strike emerged as Hollywood writers were on the verge of getting back to work after months on the picket lines.
A new spirit of optimism animated actors who were picketing Tuesday for the first time since writers reached their tentative deal Sunday night.
More:Hollywood writers and studios reach tentative agreement to end historic 146-day strike
"For a hot second, I really thought that this was going to go on until next year," said Marissa Cuevas, an actor who has appeared on the TV series "Kung Fu" and "The Big Bang Theory." "Knowing that at least one of us has gotten a good deal gives a lot of hope that we will also get a good deal."
Writers' picket lines have been suspended, but they were encouraged to walk in solidarity with actors, and many were on the lines Tuesday, including "Mad Men" creator Matthew Weiner, who picketed alongside friend and "ER" actor Noah Wyle as he has throughout the strikes.
"We would never have had the leverage we had if SAG had not gone out," Weiner said. "They were very brave to do it."
Crucial steps remain for the writers, who technically remain on strike, and for other workers awaiting a return to production of new shows.
The next phase comes Tuesday, when the governing boards of the two branches of the Writers Guild of America are expected to vote on the tentative agreement reached by union negotiators with Hollywood studios.
Following approval from the union's boards — which is likely — comes a vote from the writers themselves, although the timing is uncertain.
"I very much feel like we'll vote in favor of it," Writers Guild member Kyra Jones said. "I trust that the negotiating committee did not settle for a bad deal. That would have made no sense to do this far in."
The guild and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents studios, streaming services and production companies in the negotiations, were still finalizing contract language Monday.
More:Drew Barrymore to return amid writer's strike. Which other daytime talk shows will follow?
That could prompt a delay of the voting and has kept union leaders from sharing with writers the details of what nearly five months of striking and hardship earned them. The leaders have promised to hold a series of meetings later this week to share the terms of the deal regarding pay, show staffing and artificial intelligence.
The guild's leaders told them only that the agreement is "exceptional," with gains for every member. A successful yes vote from the membership will finally, officially, bring the strike to an end.
Among the unions on strike, the studio alliance has chosen to negotiate only with the writers so far, and has made no overtures yet toward restarting talks with SAG-AFTRA. That will presumably change soon.
SAG-AFTRA leaders have said they will look closely at the writers' agreement, which includes many of the same issues, but it will not effect their demands.
More:Why the Hollywood strikes are not over even after screenwriters and studios reach agreement
Contrbuting: Leslie Ambriz, Krysta Fauria, The Associated Press
veryGood! (222)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- After Israel's expected Gaza invasion, David Petraeus says there needs to be a vision for what happens next
- Doctors abandon excited delirium diagnosis used to justify police custody deaths. It might live on, anyway.
- The world’s best sports car? AWD & electric power put 2024 Corvette E-Ray in the picture
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- What are the laws of war, and how do they apply to the Israel-Gaza conflict?
- Aces starters Chelsea Gray and Kiah Stokes out for Game 4 of WNBA Finals vs. Liberty
- College football bowl projections: What Washington's win means as season hits halfway mark
- Bodycam footage shows high
- US men's national soccer team friendly vs. Ghana: Live stream and TV info, USMNT roster
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- A Hong Kong protester shot by police in 2019 receives a 47-month jail term
- Hydrate Your Skin With $140 Worth of First Aid Beauty for Only $63
- Brawl in Houston courtroom as murdered girl’s family tries to attack her killer after guilty plea
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Cambodian court sentences jailed opposition politician to 3 more years in prison
- Los Angeles Rams DB Derion Kendrick arrested on felony gun possession hours after win
- Britney Spears Says She Was Pregnant With Justin Timberlake's Baby Before They Decided to Get Abortion
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
Dozens of WWII shipwrecks from Operation Dynamo identified in Dunkirk channel: It's quite an emotional feeling
Memo to Joe Manchin, Congress: Stop clutching your pearls as college athletes make money
Bike riding in middle school may boost mental health, study finds
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
How international law applies to war, and why Hamas and Israel are both alleged to have broken it
Legal challenge to dethrone South Africa’s Zulu king heads to court
Major solar panel plant opens in US amid backdrop of industry worries about low-priced Asian imports