Current:Home > MyJudge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case -Prime Capital Blueprint
Judge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 20:13:40
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The judge who oversaw a landmark civil trial over abuse at New Hampshire’s youth detention center has issued a preliminary order slashing the $38 million verdict against the state to $475,000. Rockingham County Superior Court Judge Andrew Schulman previously said reducing the amount awarded to plaintiff David Meehan by nearly 99% would be an “unconscionable miscarriage of justice,” He reiterated that belief in a Nov. 4 order, but “reluctantly” granted the state’s request to the cap the award and said he would enter a final judgement to that effect on Friday barring any last-minute requests from attorneys.
Meehan’s allegations of horrific sexual and physical abuse at the Youth Development Center in 1990s led to a broad criminal investigation resulting in multiple arrests. His civil lawsuit seeking to hold the state accountable was the first of more than 1,100 to go to trial. Although jurors sided with him in May after a monthlong trial, confusion arose over how much money they could award in damages.
The dispute involves part of the verdict form that asked jurors “How many incidents does the jury unanimously find the plaintiff has proven by a preponderance of the evidence?” Jurors were not informed that state law caps claims against the state at $475,000 per “incident.”
Some jurors later said they wrote “one” on the verdict form to reflect that they believed Meehan suffered a single case of post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from more than 100 episodes of physical, sexual and emotional abuse. The state has interpreted the verdict to mean that jurors found it liable for only one “incident” of abuse at the Manchester facility, now called the Sununu Youth Services Center.
The judge has denied Meehan’s motions for a new trial focused only on determining the number of incidents or to set aside just the portion of the verdict in which jurors wrote one incident. He said an entirely new trial remains an option, but Meehan’s attorneys have not requested one.
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested, though one has since died and charges against another were dropped after the man, now in his early 80s, was found incompetent to stand trial.
The only criminal case to go to trial so far ended in a mistrial in September after jurors deadlocked on whether the defendant, Victor Malavet, raped a girl at a separate state-run facility in Concord.
Bradley Asbury, who has pleaded not guilty to holding down a teenage boy while other staffers sexually assaulted him in Manchester, goes on trial next week.
veryGood! (9584)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Reluctant pastor’s son to most-viewed preacher: Shooting puts new spotlight on Joel Osteen
- Baby girl OK after being placed in ‘safe haven’ box at Missouri fire station
- Police identify Genesse Moreno as shooter at Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church: What we know
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Review: Justin Hartley makes a handsome network heartthrob in 'Tracker'
- Get Glowy, Fresh Skin With Skin Gym’s and Therabody’s Skincare Deals Including an $9 Jade Roller & More
- Woman slain by officers after opening fire in Osteen megachurch in Houston; child critical
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Jen Pawol on verge of becoming first MLB female umpire, gets full-time spring training assignment
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Listeria recall: More cheese products pulled at Walmart, Costco, Safeway, other stores
- More than 383,000 Frigidaire refrigerators recalled due to potential safety hazards
- We recap the 2024 Super Bowl
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Mobileye CEO Shashua expects more autonomous vehicles on the road in 2 years as tech moves ahead
- Republican effort to restore abortion rights in Missouri folds
- Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu indicates war in Gaza may escalate, orders evacuation plan for Rafah
Recommendation
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Dora the Explorer Was Shockingly the Harshest Critic of the 2024 Super Bowl
Tiger Woods starts a new year with a new look now that his Nike deal has ended
Avalanches kill skier, snowmobiler in Rockies as dangerous snow conditions persist across the West
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Republican effort to restore abortion rights in Missouri folds
Usher reflecting on history of segregation in Las Vegas was best Super Bowl pregame story
Molly Ringwald breaks free from 'mom purgatory' in 'Feud: Capote vs. The Swans'