Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Disturbing video appears to show Sean "Diddy" Combs assaulting singer Cassie Ventura -Prime Capital Blueprint
Algosensey|Disturbing video appears to show Sean "Diddy" Combs assaulting singer Cassie Ventura
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:12:52
Security video aired by CNN appears to show Sean "Diddy" Combs attacking singer Cassie in a Los Angeles hotel hallway in 2016,Algosensey the latest in a months-long series of public allegations and revelations of physical and sexual violence from the hip-hop mogul.
The video aired Friday appears to show Combs, wearing only a white towel, punching and kicking the R&B singer who was his protege and longtime girlfriend at the time. The footage also shows Combs shoving and dragging Cassie, and throwing a vase in her direction.
The security camera video, dated March 5, 2016, closely resembles the description of an incident at an InterContinental Hotel in the Century City area of Los Angeles described in a November lawsuit filed by Cassie, whose legal name is Cassandra Ventura, that alleged years of sexual abuse and other violence from Combs.
The lawsuit alleges Combs paid the hotel $50,000 for the security video. CNN did not say how it obtained the video but noted it verified the location it was shot by comparing the footage to publicly available images of the InterContinental Hotel.
Cassie's lawsuit was settled the day after it was filed, but spurred intense scrutiny of Combs, with several more lawsuits filed in the following months, along with a federal criminal sex-trafficking investigation that led authorities to raid Combs' mansions in Los Angeles and Miami.
Representatives for Combs did not immediately comment on the video, but he has previously denied the allegations in the lawsuits, and his lawyers have said he denies any wrongdoing and will fight to prove his innocence.
"The gut-wrenching video has only further confirmed the disturbing and predatory behavior of Mr. Combs," said Douglas Wigdor, an attorney for Cassie who has filed other lawsuits against Combs. "Words cannot express the courage and fortitude that Ms. Ventura has shown in coming forward to bring this to light."
The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said Friday evening that "we find the images extremely disturbing and difficult to watch," but that it would be unable to file charges related to the incident since it occurred in 2016.
"As of today, law enforcement has not presented a case related to the attack depicted in the video against Mr. Combs, but we encourage anyone who has been a victim or witness to a crime to report it to law enforcement or reach out to our office for support from our Bureau of Victims Services," the district attorney's office said in its statement.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually abused unless they come forward publicly as Ventura has.
According to the lawsuit, Combs earlier in the evening became "extremely intoxicated" and punched Ventura, giving her a black eye. After he fell asleep she tried to leave, the suit says. This is apparently where the video begins. Ventura can be seen heading to a bank of elevators with a packed bag.
Then Combs awoke and began screaming at her, following her down the hall, the suit said.
He violently grabs her and yanks her to the ground, kicks her, and throws vases in her direction in the video.
The lawsuit says she managed to get away, but later returned out of fear that she would face greater abuse if she didn't. As she returned, hotel staff urged her to go back to her apartment, the suit says. She would flee and hide out with a friend in Florida.
The lawsuit alleges Combs paid the hotel $50,000 for the security video.
It is unlikely Combs could be criminally charged in the attack. The statutes of limitations for assault or battery in California run from one to three years depending on whether they're charged as misdemeanors or felonies.
The video's release comes as Combs and his legal team had begun to push back against the allegations that had come in a steady stream since November. They recently filed motions to dismiss parts of a lawsuit alleging he sexually assaulted a woman in 1991, and to dismiss all of a lawsuit alleging he and two other men raped a 17-year-old girl in 2003. The court filings called both sets of allegations false.
On March 25, Homeland Security Investigations served search warrants on Combs' homes in Los Angeles and Miami in a sex-trafficking investigation. His lawyer called it "a gross use of military-level force." The investigation is continuing. Combs has not been charged.
Combs, a three-time Grammy winner and the founder of Bad Boy Records, is among the most influential hip-hop producers and executives of the past three decades. He turned his hip-hop success into a broader business empire that includes private-label spirits, fashion, and a TV network. He has had to step aside from some of his business roles since the allegations began emerging.
He and Ventura began dating in 2007 and had an on-and-off relationship for more than a decade.
She became known for the hit single "Me & U," which secured the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop songs chart in 2006. The song was the lead single of her self-titled and only studio album.
As an actor, she has appeared in several television shows and films, including Fox's "Empire," "Step Up 2: The Streets" and "Spenser Confidential."
For anonymous, confidential help, people can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224. People can text START to 88788 or chat on TheHotline.org.
- In:
- Assault
- Sean "Diddy" Combs
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- 2024 Grammys Preview: Five big questions ahead of Sunday’s award show
- TikTok’s Favorite Work Pants From Halara Are 40% off Right Now & Totally Worth the Hype
- Man wanted for allegedly killing girlfriend and leaving body at Boston airport is arrested in Kenya
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- US pilot safely ejects before his F-16 fighter jet crashes in South Korean sea
- Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson returning to Detroit despite head-coaching interest
- Kim Kardashian Shares Painful Red Markings on Her Legs Due to Psoriasis Flare Up
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Ayesha Rascoe on 'HBCU Made' — and some good old college memories
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Colorado police chief on leave pending criminal case after reported rapes during party at his house
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton gets temporary reprieve from testifying in lawsuit against him
- Billionaire Sultan Ibrahim sworn in as Malaysia’s 17th king under rotating monarchy system
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Wisconsin elections officials expected to move quickly on absentee ballot rules
- Virginia Senate panel votes to reject Youngkin nominations of parole board chair, GOP staffer
- Issa Rae talks 'American Fiction' reflecting Hollywood, taking steps to be 'independent'
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Bullfighting resumes in Mexico City for now, despite protests
David Letterman defends NFL's Taylor Swift focus amid Travis Kelce relationship: 'Shut up!'
Israeli intelligence docs detail alleged UNRWA staff links to Hamas, including 12 accused in Oct. 7 attack
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Zimbabwe opposition figure gets suspended sentence after nearly 2 years in pretrial detention
Bill targeting college IDs clears Kentucky Senate in effort to revise voter identification law
Biden will go to Michigan to meet with United Auto Workers members