Current:Home > reviewsCharles Langston:Businesses at struggling corner where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis -Prime Capital Blueprint
Charles Langston:Businesses at struggling corner where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 01:14:23
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Several business owners at the struggling corner where George Floyd was murdered by a Minneapolis police officer in 2020 are Charles Langstonsuing the city to demand it take over their properties and compensate them.
The owners of the Cup Foods convenience store and other businesses operating near 38th Street and Chicago Avenue argue that the city’s failure to address deterioration and crime in the neighborhood has ruined their businesses and constitutes an unlawful taking of their property without just compensation, the Minnesota Star Tribune reported Thursday. They’re seeking $30 million in damages.
The area, now known as George Floyd Square, has become a place of pilgrimage for social justice supporters from across the country, and the store has renamed itself Unity Foods. But business owners say they haven’t benefitted, while activists and officials remain divided over how to transform the intersection while keeping it as a permanent memorial.
Floyd died after a white officer pinned his neck to the pavement outside Cup Foods for 9 1/2 minutes despite the Black man’s pleas of “I can’t breathe.” The ensuing protests, which turned violent at times, tested the leadership of Gov. Tim Walz at one of the state’s most consequential moments, and sparking a nationwide reckoning over racism and police misconduct. The officer, Derek Chauvin, was convicted of murder.
The legal action, filed last week in Hennepin County District Court, argues that the businesses have lost revenue, real estate value, reputation, and tenant and rental income. It argues that the city’s decisions led to higher crime and created a “no go zone” for police in the area. It replaces an earlier lawsuit by the businesses that was dismissed two months ago.
Michael Healey, the lawyer representing the businesses, told the Star Tribune there are two possible outcomes. The businesses “could conceivably keep the property if a settlement is reached with the city on the diminished value,” he said. The other possibility is that the city could begin the process of taking the properties and compensating the owners.
A city spokesperson said in a statement that while it can’t comment on pending litigation, the city “understands the challenges that residents and businesses have confronted in the wake of George Floyd’s murder.“
veryGood! (16566)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- The elusive Cougar's Shadow only emerges twice a year – and now is your last chance to see it until fall
- A New York man’s pet alligator was seized after 30 years. Now, he wants Albert back
- Mother, 37-year-old man arrested after getting involved in elementary school fight: Reports
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- 'Real Housewives of Potomac' star Karen Huger involved in car crash after allegedly speeding
- 2 hospitalized, 27 safe after rowing club boats capsize off Connecticut
- Sanctuary saved: South Carolina family's fight for ancestral land comes to an end after settlement: Reports
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- South Carolina Court Weighs What Residents Call ‘Chaotic’ Coastal Adaptation Standards
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Who is Shohei Ohtani's interpreter? Dodgers fire Ippei Mizuhara amid gambling allegations
- Judge says Michael Cohen may have committed perjury, refuses to end his probation early
- Proposed limit on Georgia film tax credit could become meaningless if studios are protected
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- The Utah Jazz arena's WiFi network name is the early star of March Madness
- As Texas border arrests law teeters in court, other GOP states also push tougher immigration policy
- NY state asks court not to let Trump forgo $454M bond during fraud case appeal
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
March Madness bracket picks for Thursday's first round of the men's NCAA Tournament
Shop Amazon’s Big Spring Sale for Festival-Ready Fashion for Coachella, Stagecoach & More
Making a restaurant reservation? That'll be $100 — without food or drinks.
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Alyssa Raghu denies hijacking friend's 'American Idol' audition, slams show's 'harmful' edit
A Georgia prison warden was stabbed by an inmate, authorities say
Trump suggests he’d support a national ban on abortions around 15 weeks of pregnancy